Day 14: Belfast

Belfast Travel Blog

I set aside the day for walking around Belfast.  It's oriented north-south, and it's easily walkable as all the things you could need or want to see are within "the Golden Mile".  Had some Subway (cheap eats!) and set off towards the city center.  The city hall is both the geographical and political center of the city, and it's turquoise-colored domes can be seen from a long ways away.  It's a perfect example of Classical Renaissance architecture (don't know what that means, but wikipedia sure does).  There was a cool outdoor market going on outside in the gardens, so I stopped in to check it out.  They were selling giant (GIANT) churros and french-style baguettes and all sorts of nuts and oversized hotdogs.  Funny, there's a lot of goth kids around.

The visitor center of any city will fill you in on exactly what people who visit spend ridiculous amounts of money on each year in Belfast:  shamrock tours, green clover t-shirts, Lord of the Dance shit, Titanic souvenirs, and Guinness EVERYTHING.  Yeah, apparently the Titanic was built here.  Woop dee doo.  I don't need a shirt proclaiming I was at the birthplace of the ill-fated ship, thank you very much.

Headed on north towards the Quay, and saw the leaning Albert memorial clock.  Being situated close to the docks, the tower was once infamous for being frequented by prostitutes plying their trade with visiting sailors.  Betcha that's why it leans: the ladies leaned on it too much waiting for their customers.  You can see in that picture the fountains in front; they put on a good little show!  It was like Bellagio fountains, Irish-style.

I have yet to call anyone a "wee person".

McHugh's Bar is the oldest surviving building and bar in the city, and so I of course dropped in and had a celebratory pint.  People have been doing the same since 1711!  Smithwick's is by far superior to any English beers I've had so far.  Coincidentally, it's also the oldest Irish ale dating back to 1710.  Hmm, I see a pattern arising...

Had a french baguette at the market with garlic, tomatoes, and sausage, and fell in love.  It's been 2 weeks since any semblance of garlic (or British culinary delights, for that matter).  Seriously, they need to step up the gastronomicals, and quickly.  They might have delightful museums and pubs and tea, but their food is just not up to par.  (And it's not just me; people have been hounding British cuisine for tens--if not hundreds--of years).  On a related note, it's also been 2 weeks since I last had taco bell.

I finally figured out how to put pictures up: all you need to do is take your memory card to a participating photo store like Kodak and what have you, then use the automated card-to-CD burner for £0.99!  Brilliant, I say!  Then you take your cd to the local (extremely overpriced) internet cafe and cross your arms as you wait for the pictures to upload.  You can practically see your money disappearing into the greedy clutches of the internet cafe vultures.

Now for a conclusive field report: The girls here in Belfast are definitely fat.  Not obese, just overweight.  They wear way too much makeup and look like botched... well, we'll just leave it at that.  I actually think Boise girls are finally hotter.  (gasp!)
SweetLeilani says:
HAHAHAHAHAHA! OMGosh!!! Boise vs. Belfast!!! I am laughing so hard, I can't hardly even TYPE this comment!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! ***** (You get 5 stars for that one!)

Posted on: Jul 08, 2007
portia says:
Still don't see any photos here, one would think there will be a free or cheaper internet connection somewhere...
Posted on: Jun 23, 2007