Day 10: The Duality of Edinburgh

Edinburgh Travel Blog

Woke up at 7am to find the cleaning lady dusting off the couches in the Chillout Room.  Wait, why wasn't I in bed?  Groggily made my way back into my room and plopped into bed.

I'm a sucker for Dan Brown.  I have no chance against his gripping story-telling.  Plowed through the rest of the book as it rained and sprinkled outside.  I'm not one for rain, I'm not gonna lie.  Finished at around 3pm and got out and got to see some more of the Royal Mile.  I found out to my pleasant surprise that Edinburgh is really hard to get lost in; because of so many landmarks and elevations changes, I didn't have to pull out my map every two minutes like I've done in other cities.  Also, every single street look completely different which always helps.
They're doing some sort of venue-building at the Edinburgh Castle in preparation for the August music and entertainment festivals that rampage through the city later on in the summer.  It was a good contrast between old and stoic palace to blue seats and scaffolding.

If you're ever in Edinburgh, make sure you skip all the unnecessary and overpriced "real" tours of the city and treat yourself to the Literary Pub Tour, put on by professional actors as you walk all through the Old Town and the New Town.  Why is it so cool?  Well, you get a crash-course in Scottish literature at the same time going to the same exact pubs the enlightened literati of ye olde days wound down in after a long day at work.  The actors recite beautiful works such as by Sir Walter Scott in talented (and perfect) in the olde Scottish language.  Didn't always understand it, but there is a powerful way the words meld together and move you.  (Maybe it was the beer.)  It was a great way to see the Duality of Edinburgh, and how these Scottish literary Greats came down for whisky (no 'e' in Scotland, thank you very much), cavorting, and 'whoorin'.  Sounds like a bunch of pretty cool dudes to me.

For £4.50 I get a citylink bus to Glasgow in two days, but all hostels are booked.  I'm not usually this stupid, but I need to keep plowing forward.  I'll figure something out tomorrow.  Promise.  If I have to sneak inside a movie theatre and sleep on the sticky floor, so be it.  (No, I have never done it.  Come on.)

I decided Beamers (that's BMW motor vehicles, for you psych majors) were absolutely meanto to tear through cobblestone streets in Edinburgh at high speeds.  It looks so fackin' cool.

Met some new faces playing a drinking game behind me in the dining room, so a Philadelphian, an Ozzie, a Seattlelite, a Texan, and myself all exchanged vodka lemonade (elixir of the gods) over some cards.   There's surprisingly a lot of Americans in Edinburgh, compared to London and Newcastle.  I don't think a single one in NewcastleGateshead (that's the official name on the brochures).  Set up a pub crawl for the next night, said good night, and went to bed.  Slept like a baby.  Alone.
Edinburgh