Milwaukee - the Apollo 13 connction

Milwaukee Travel Blog

After parking my car and entertaining the General Mitchell terminal early, I spent my time wandering around and actually seeing the airport for the first time though I had been there many times before.

Since I was so early, specifically to avoid rush-hour traffic, I had plenty of time to kill.  I was hungry and decided to grab something light to eat before heading to my gate.  I chose the Brewhouse restaurant located on the second floor concourse.  I was seated immediately and ordered the lightest things on the menu I could find; three onion soup.  The waitress delivered it to me quickly and the soup had good flavor.  I then left the restaurant and proceeded to continue wandering around.

There is a museum inside the airport that I couldn't pass up that explained who General Mitchell was as well as other famous faces that had a connection to the city of Milwaukee.
Three Onion Soup.
  The aviation museum is free and not crowded and fairly small.  It is in a space that looks like it may have at one time housed a newstand store, or at least that is the size it was.   I was surprised I found it so interesting.  I found the connection with Charles Lindbergh with The Spirit of St. Louis (how appropriate!)  and James Lovell to be fascinating.  I did not know that Lovell had gone to college in Milwaukee for two years before entering the naval program and continuing on to NASA.   I am a space buff so it was of particular interest to me.

Now... the week before this trip I had been in Puerto Rico where I also departed from General Mitchell Airport.  Upon arriving back to Milwaukee I took the wrong shuttle back to the parking lot.  It turned out to be a great thing because I found a cheaper economy place to park for this trip! A savings of $3.00 per day... and every buck helps when a girl isn't working!

freak0ut says:
You know, it's funny. I work at the MKE airport, and I had no idea they renamed that restaurant Brewhouse, haha.
Posted on: Sep 18, 2009