Surf Lesson and catching up with Leona

Lahaina Travel Blog

Yummy!
This morning, Joyce had her lesson through the Nancy Emerson Surf School with Sharky. Private lessons cost $150 for 2 hours, but they give you a little more time, and provide all the gear. Sharky was apparently amazing, teaching Joyce not only how to get on a board, but what to watch for, corrected her position and posture, and loads of other things. Joyce was very happy with her lesson and I was so surprised as she fell off quite a bit on her first lesson in San Diego a year ago, and after something like 2 tries, stood up on every single wave!!

While she surfed, I met up with Leona and her new husband Duke. Poor things did the drive to Hana yesterday and I'm surprised they didn't break up after such a stressful drive! well at least they survived =) I would never, ever even think of doing that drive on anything larger than a SmartCar! We chatted and caught up, as we hadn't spoken in about 10 years.
gorgeous local girl
We reminisced about all the concerts we attended together in LA like Garbage and the Smashing Pumpkins. What few good times I had in college, Leona was a part of =)

After lunch they left to go beach hunting and I waited for Joyce to finish her surf lesson. She came back with the biggest smile and would soon feel the soreness for the rest of the week. She loved Sharky though and wanted to take another lesson with him. It seems as if the recession has hit Maui pretty hard and Sharky seemed a bit eager for more customers. Considering how high the cost of living is in Maui, I don't blame him one bit. I sincerely don't understand how people can live in Hawaii on the average incomes that are earned. I saw a listing on craigslist and I think the average management job there makes something like $1800 a month. What the hell?!?!

gorgeous local girl
The beach where most of the surfin…
The beach where most of the surfi…
Lahaina