DAY 22- Amsterdam

Amsterdam Travel Blog

Our last full day together, and everyone was a little down today. No-one’s looking forward to saying goodbye and finishing the tour. It’s pretty emotional, knowing tonight is our last night with our new friends (or family, seeing as we’ve spent countless hours, all day, every day together for the past three weeks).

Our day started pretty early, as we had a great breakfast at the hotel, then left for the Anne Frank House, which opened at 9AM. We were in line when the doors opened, and only three people from the tour did not tour the house. Once we were finished going through the house, Kerrianne, Ryann, Kim, Joel, and I set out for the Heineken Museum. Across the road from Anne Frank’s House, we stopped at a little souvenir shop, where I bought an umbrella once I say the dark clouds rolling in.

It turned out to be one of the best purchases I made, as once we left the shop, it started pouring, and it didn’t stop for the rest of the day. We got on the tram and made our way to the Heineken Experience. We found figuring our which tram to get on a little confusing, but the man working on the tram was very helpful, so we were quickly at ease. We got to the museum about ten minutes before it opened, which was great because it wasn’t busy. We toured around, and even experienced the fire alarm go off (we didn’t know what it was, so we were ushered our by museum employees). It turned out to be a false alarm, though. Once done, we got back on the tram and made our way to Dam Square, where we stopped at McDonald’s for lunch (Yuck! It was not my choice), then started exploring. Ryann and Kim separated from Kerrianne, Joel, and I, so the three of us continued on.
Kerrianne wanted to find a place where she could get her nose pierced, so we did that, then we continued shopping. We didn’t spend much longer shopping, though, as it was raining so hard by this time we just wanted to get out of it. So, the three of us caught a cab back to the hotel at around 3:30. Once there, we showered and got ready for our dinner in Volendam. It had stopped raining by the time we left the hotel, so we were hopeful that it would hold off for a canal cruise, which we were doing after dinner. Our dinner in Volendam, at Van den Hogen, was great. Once done, we got back on the bus and headed back into the city and got onto our boat for our canal cruise. We had unlimited drinks, so I went with beer, seeing as I had sworn off wine from my Rome debacle.
Once done the cruise, which lasted between an hour to an 1 ½ hours, we went to a club to drink and dance. At about 2:30, I shared a cab back to the hotel with Joel and Jess. We had a GREAT day, which would make it even harder to say goodbye tomorrow. But, I LOVE AMSTERDAM!

*Word of Caution- DON’T wear flip flops on the Amsterdam streets when they’re wet. Joel and I were slipping all over the place. It was dangerous, and it was very slow going with the two of us.

Main Expenses (In Euros)

Breakfast: Included in the tour

Lunch: 8.00

Dinner: Included in the optional excursion price

Alcohol: 30.00

Hotel: Included in the tour

Cab (split between 3 people):

Optional Excursions: Volendam restaurant- 31.00

Canal cruise- 29.00

Lord_Mike says:
Did you eat at Lord Mike's? The restaurant is where I got my name....for TravBuddy
Posted on: Sep 11, 2009
Amsterdam Sights & Attractions review
Anne Frank Huis
The house where Anne Frank hid from the Nazis and wrote her famous diary is a museum in the middle of Amsterdam. The museum tells the history of the … read entire review
Amsterdam Sights & Attractions review
Heineken Experience
If you have the time, the Heineken Experience is a great attraction. After paying the 15 Euro admission, you get the whole Heineken story on a self g… read entire review
Amsterdam