La Jolla & the Harbor Seals

La Jolla Travel Blog

La Jolla is so pretty

Oh the drama of the harbor seals! When I went to La Jolla 2 years ago the Children's Pool was full of harbor seals. The adult seals rested on the beach as the younger seals played tag in the sand and water. It was a magical experience for somone from the midwest. It was an experience I will never forget.

On 9/3/09 I walked to the top of the hill at the Children's Pool, by the lifeguard station, expecting to see a sight similar to the one I had seen 2 years prior. What I saw was an empty beach. There were no seals. My friends, who had never been to La Jolla, looked at me as if to say "What's the big deal?". So, we decided to lay out on the nearest beach for awhile. While there we did manage to see 3 seals. My friends were amazed and all I could think was "If only you could see what I saw 2 years ago."

There is currently a battle playing out in the court system over these seals. Some locals want them gone. The Children's Pool was a beach developed for children, before the seals decided to call it home many years ago. Some locals want to claim back the beach. Many others think the seals should be able to stay. The seals have been calling this beach home for years. Why can't the people use one of the many other great beaches in La Jolla?

No decision has been made yet, but there are frequent arguments at the beach. I witnessed 1 between a father and an activist.

La Jolla is so pretty
Do you see the harbor seal?
Do you see the harbor seal?
La Jolla