The Big D meet-up

Dallas Travel Blog

Jackie, Debbi, Britt and Kalani

Ok, I confess, this was my first TB meet up with a group and I was a bit intimidated. I was sure how everyone would interact, would they recognize me from my photos on line, and would they even show up? I know that all sounds kind of childish, but that what was going through my mind as I drove into Dallas for the meet up. I found the restaurant alright, but being one of the first ones there, I walked through the restaurant a couple of times hoping to recognize at least one person. I would see a group of people laughing and joking at a table on the patio, but they didn’t recognize me. Ok, maybe I had the wrong place. I went back to the car and check on my phone to assure myself that I was at the right place at the right time on the right day. I was.

Debbi and her Texas Salsa
On the way back from my 2nd trip to the car, I ran into Debbi. Yes, Debbi, actually notice me. She smiled and spoke to me, ok things were getting better. We talked a moment and introduced me to here grandson, Kalani. What a gentleman. We had a great conversation as we walked back toward the restaurant. Yeah, we had to go move our vehicles to a place less likely to tow us. We both noticed this guy in black, getting out of a white car. It had to be Mark. Debbi, with her easy going personality decided to approach him and introduce herself. She did it with such ease and tact. He acknowledged us and everything just started to fall into place.

We found out that children were not allowed into the restaurant and so Debbi went into the place to just meet the others including Willem, Nicole, Lola, Jackie and Delmia.

Here we are
I would stay out and interact with Kalani. We both and a great little time getting to know each other.  Within a few minutes, both Mark and Debbi came out and said that we would change restaurants so that we all could hang out. Wow, I was glad that we would all get to enjoy getting to know each other. We all walked across the street to a place called The Porch. This was a very nice restaurant. Clean, crowded, cozy and most of all, welcoming.  We didn’t wait very long before they had a table for all eight of us. While waiting, Julie bought the first round. Wonderful. Kalani and I were both entertained with coloring crayons and a nice chair. It seemed that all the employees were concerned with our comfort. It was a really great thing to see. The food and the service here was just great. We enjoyed ourselves and had a chance to take many photos, share our food and just laugh about all the things that had happened to us over, at least, the past 12 hours.
Me and Kalani
Stories of traffic jams, missed calls and family fun were just a few of the topics we discussed.

The evening went well past Kalani’s bedtime and he was a little trooper. He sat up at the table and never complained, but he did tell me that he didn’t take his nap on Friday, so he was a bit tired. Numbers were exchanged, plans were made and all of our belongings were gathered up as we headed to our cars and went to our place of residence for that evening.

I invited Jackie to stop by for lunch on the way back home on Monday. She agreed and I am really looking forward to seeing her again. This was a great meet-up. It was a great time to see and hear the voice behind all the photos. This was really a chance to keep the spirit of Travbuddy alive. I am grateful to be a part of a friendly lively and trustworthy community of fellow travelers. Thanks guys.

world-traveller123 says:
Wow, great time u must have had/
Posted on: Sep 07, 2009
rogers10 says:
looks like you guys had a good time.
Posted on: Sep 07, 2009
Britt
Britt
Dallas Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
An American Melting Pot of Cusine
I was really impressed with this place. It was a Friday night, the placed was pretty packed, but they still seemed to get us seated within a reasonabl… read entire review
Dallas Hotels & Accommodations review
Somewhat typical Hotel
I was a little surprised to find this hotel a little less up to the standards of other Staybridge hotels. I was a little disappointed to find a bathro… read entire review
186 km (116 miles) traveled