Preikestolen (Pulpit Rock)

Preikestolen Travel Blog

Preikestolenhytta and parking lot
We got up early in the morning since the bus to Preikestolenhytta (where the climb to the rock starts) should leave the campground at 8.30 a.m. - so did I think. Brushing the teeth and having a shower were made in a hurry aswell as our breakfast and preparations for the hike. 2 minutes before 8.30 we arrived at the busstop and wondered why nobody was there. I checked the schedule again and recognized that I was wrong :o Since it was sunday the bus would come at 9.15 a.m. Just good that Klaus and me are newly in love and he's very patient with me otherwise he would have killed me for such a hurry on a sunday morning - lol.

We've choosen the bus to get up there because the parking space is limited and it's about a 2 hours walk on a steep trail from the campground to Preikestolenhytta.
Preikestolenhytta
Since I'm a low-land-girl I would have been exhausted before the climb would begin :p The fee for the bus wasn't much although I can't remember how much exactly.

The weather was changing from warm to cool, from sunshine to rain. It was very difficult to find the correct clothing. I've choosen some zip-off pants, a t-shirt and a warm fleece pullover. Additional to that we took the raincoats with us.

Well, July is always a busy time at the Preikestolen since it's a main attraction in Norway. I was there 2 years before already and I knew what would await me. Hiking the trail up there is like running on a highway. Faster, faster, faster. It's more like an escape than an enjoyable hike. For me if I'll ever hike the rock again I will do it in May, June or September.
You can see Stavanger on the other side of the fjord

Since we had the dog with us and he was snooping at every blade of grass we needed a bit more time. Hundreds of people got ahead of us but I don't mind. I love to enjoy the nature and suck in every impression. To do that you need some time.

If you walk in a normal tempo you need about 2 hours to reach the top. Along the way you have great impressions around the surrounding. It's breathtaking when the Lysefjord appears under you for the first time. Close to the top you find 2 small lakes where you can swim in the summer. Buddy immediately took the chance but we didn't since it was too cold for my taste ;)

The trail is not very difficult to walk but sometimes a bit steep. There's just one tricky situation to handle shortly before you reach the top.
Hiking alone might be ok but we nearly lost the dog when we had to climb the edge of a narrow rock. Klaus could catch Buddy none too soon before he fell 600 m down the rock. My heart stopped beating for a second.

Arriving the top fog arised and within 5 minutes you couldn't see anything. I just could manage to take some photos before the fog covered everything in grey.

What a hike!! As nearly losing the dog wasn't enough the weather got bad, too. It wasn't our luckiest day ;) But we didn't mind about that. We sat down and pulled out our lunch box. It's amazing to see all those of people sitting on a 25 by 25 metres (82 by 82 feet) square and almost flat rock 604 m (1.982 feet) above sea level eating lunch.

The way back to Preikestolenhytta went well although it started raining about half way down. In the end it was an amazing day and all of us 3 we pretty tired but very happy, too.

aloneinthecrowd says:
Thanks Mehmet :D
Posted on: Oct 02, 2009
dieforu says:
great blog Jutta!!
Posted on: Oct 02, 2009
aloneinthecrowd says:
Thanks Sarah :) I've been there in 2006 already and the weather was amazing. I'll add some photos of this trip to let the people know that the sun sometimes shines in Norway ;)
Posted on: Oct 01, 2009
Preikestolenhytta
You can see Stavanger on the other…
You can see Stavanger on the othe…
First view on the Lysefjord
First view on the Lysefjord
One of the lakes at the top
One of the lakes at the top
Buddy waiting for his chance ;)
Buddy waiting for his chance ;)
ready to go ;)
ready to go ;)
Fog is arising
Fog is arising
fog is coming
fog is coming
One of the most crowded places in …
One of the most crowded places in…
Leave me in peace - my feet hurts