From Haugesund to Stavanger

Stavanger Travel Blog

Somewhere along the road
Due to lack of time we headed forward to Stavanger.

On the way we saw a sign "Utstein Abbey" and we decided to go there. I'm not religious, I see me as atheist, but I'm fond of old buildings and ruins. I read about the abbey when I researched the internet for interesting places along our route.

Utstein Abbey (Utstein Kloster) is Norway's best-preserved medieval monastery, located on the island of Mosteroy (Rogaland county). The abbey was founded between 1263 and 1280. In peak season it's recommended to leave your car at the parking area at the Utstein Hotel which is a 20 minutes walk away from the abbey since there's limited parking space at the abbey itself.

The weather was great and we aswell as Buddy enjoyed the walk.
I was very surprised that it was allowed to bring the dog inside the abbey. I asked at the reception - where you have to buy tickets (I can't remember the price :o) - and they didn't mind about it. Klaus and me are used to visit museums etc. seperate since one of us had to wait with Buddy. What a great experience to explore the abbey together.

I must mention that most Norwegians don't mind about dogs. As long as you clean up after your dog you can bring it nearly everywhere - except restaurants which I can understand.

We strolled around the abbey for 1 1/2 hours and went back to the car to drive further to Stavanger. The campground of Stavanger is located at a lake some miles from the center but you can reach it easily by bus. A bus station is only a 5 minutes walk away. Along the lake you have a foot- and bikepath. So it was nice for a walk in the evening.

Utstein Abbey