From Fredrikstad to Geilo

Geilo Travel Blog

Nore stave church
After breakfast we did some sightseeing in Fredrikstad before we hit the road to Geilo. The campground isn't very far from the old fortress which is a beautiful place to stroll around.

The weather was bad this morning with lots of rain and heavy winds therefore we didn't take any photos.

Around 11 a.m. we headed the E 6 north to Dröbak where we passed through the tunnel under the Oslofjord to Drammen, drove further west to Kongsberg and entered the RV 40 to Geilo.

In Nore (a tiny village about 60 km = 35 miles south of Geilo) we had a lunch break and while strolling the village we saw an old church.
inside the church
Since Klaus never saw a stave church he asked me to visit it. What a surprise. It was such an interesting place. I've been to the Heddal stave church some years ago which was amazing but this was 1,000 times better. It's a tiny church with beautiful paintings and the best of it, it seems nobody knows it. We were alone during our stay. It wasn't allowed to take photos but I did it anyway (don't tell anybody - lol) therefore the ones of the interior are a bit blurry- I couldn't use a flash.

The rain got harder again and we headed forward to Geilo where we found a nice campground to stay. Since it had mounted spaces for motorhomes and trailers it was worth it's money otherwise we would went down in the mud.

Because the dog had to go out we put our rain clothes on, grabbed the umbrellas and headed off for a walk. Since we were trapped in the camper all day and the 2 days before we walked for more than 1 1 /2 hours in the pouring rain just to stretch our legs. You can believe it or not it was great to go out.

inside the church
Skurdalsvatn (a lake close to Geil…
Skurdalsvatn (a lake close to Gei…
Geilo