Traversing the Terraces

Batad Travel Blog

Stairway to heaven
There isn't really much to do in Batad. It's more the kind of place to commune with nature and go trekking. There is one attraction though - the Tappia Falls, which was the destination for the day.

With a heavy brekky in the belly, it was time to set out and walk the paddies. They look like mere green stairs from afar, but in reality, they're about 12ft high. For some reason, my vertigo didn't kick in except on a few occasions where there'd be a gap in between the paddies for the irrigation. It was a pleasant hour and a half/2 hour trek, with a leisurely break midway to take in the scene. We were at the highest point of the paddies at this point which gave us a really spectacular view of the entire area.
View of the village

The trek going down was surprisingly not as difficult as expected. Sure, my knees would knock from time to time and my muscles would ache, but hey, considering I'm a virgin at this trekking business with no physical preparation whatsoever (and I'm a heavy smoker, too!), I would say I fared pretty well. I think. Mind you, it wasn't the easiest thing I've done - far from it, but at least I didn't trip or anything and made it in one whole piece with nary a scratch. And arriving at Tappia Falls made it all worth it.

At one end of a fairly wide niche carved between the mountains was the Falls, roaring in the distance. There was a couple on the other side, minding their business. The water was too cold for me to even take a dip, but I enjoyed the couple of hours spent there nonetheless. It was a welcome and refreshing jaunt from the mountain workout the past day and a half.
Tappia Falls

Trekking backup was different from the trek down. Surprisingly, it wasn't as difficult, though it did leave this skinny little smoker heaving and out of breath every so often. You don't have to sort of balance as much, especially with the aid of the walking stick, but it was nagging me to kick the habit. It was difficult nonetheless and I just pressed on "by putting one foot in front of the other, repeating the process..." - the words of Martin Gore looping in mind throughout the ordeal and kept me going.

Back at Rose's at last, I feasted on a dinner of canned goods, rice and pizza, and capped my day with a massage - thanks to one of the lady vendors we met on the way. What a champion of a day!

Eddie & another friend