Houseboating on Lake Shuswap 2009- road trip

Salmon Arm Travel Blog

The road trip leading to Lake Shuswap was a treat in and of itself.   I'm not sure how to describe it considering I didn't take pictures on the way there and it was raining on the way back.   The road between Osoyoos and Peachland was unbelievably scenic, one of the best drives I have ever taken.  The road was windy with white cliffs on one side and beautiful Lake Okanagan on the other.  Colorful cyclists perused the shoulder of the road because many of the towns seemed to be very agriculture and tourism oriented.  Of the towns we passed my favorite was  Penticton by far.  It was touristy but a fun, laid back, beachy kind of touristy.  I wouldn't mind going back and spending some time there.   We passed what appeared to be green valleys in between yellow mountains which was very nice to look at.  The side of the road was lined with vineyards, apple, and peach orchards, and pasture lands with a few horses grazing.  There also seemed to be many nursery's and fruit stands every few feet.  We took advantage of this and stopped and bought a few juicy peaches in Osoyoos.   Because Lake Okanagan looked so tempting we stopped at a side of the road beach to test the waters.  It was too cold for comfortable swimming... which explained why we didn't see too many people in the water, though the lake was dotted by white sailboats and other watercraft every once in a while.
Salmon Arm