The road to Dumaguete

Bulata Travel Blog

Helmet crab trying to blend in

I was still awake when the lights went off at 12 a.m. as I'd scheduled with the warden, Gerry, in Danjungan Island.  Only the kitchen lights were kept on.  The night was never truly quiet.  There was the constant shifting sound of pebbles, click-clacking, as the helmet crabs wound their way from the beach to the  building across.  I always had to watch my step everytime I had to go to the bathroom, because I never know if I was going to step on a crab.  The island was alive as I'd never experienced before.  Surprisingly after the lights went off, I finally fell asleep.

The next morning, I spent the remainder of my half day snorkeling.  Tikyo, again, was my guide and potential lifesaver.  I put on a life jacket because the snorkeling area began at least 5 meters away from the beach, and extended as far away as Manta Island, and I wasn't confident about my swimming.

Out at sea with Tikyo
   We later went back for the kayaks, so we could kayak back instead.  I didn't have an underwater camera with me again, so I suggest, if anyone's interested, to check out the Danjungan website instead.  I did see numerous fish.  I especially liked seeing the little blue cardinals, weaving in and out of their pink nursery of corals.  It was truly beautiful.

I left the island with the cook, Celia, and Tikyo (just 18, and already a certified open water diver), and the boat took us towards Bulata village and not the mine pier.  On the way, the boat stopped twice, on the verge of running out of gas!  The waves had become pretty rough at this point, and I contemplated having to swim to shore.  At least there were some life jackets on the boat.

Tiny Antulang Island with its inviting strip of white beach

We finally got to the village, and both Celia and Tikyo left me at Elsie's.  Celia was in a hurry to vote.  It was election day, and my one regret was that I couldn't vote since I was registered back in Paranaque, Metro Manila.  The bus I took changed at Kabankalan for Dumaguete.  I briefly considered staying at Justin's in Kabankalan at least overnight, but when I found out that the rest of the trip would take only 3.5 hours, I decided to press on. Finally at Dumaguete, I checked in at the hostel (Faith's reco again) and took my needed rest.

Out at sea with Tikyo
Tiny Antulang Island with its invi…
Tiny Antulang Island with its inv…
My crash pad