On Prospero's Isle

Malapascua Island Travel Blog

Calangaman island.
It rained tempestously again on the night prior to my scheduled departure from the island.  I was feeling conflicted.  I thought that I had stayed on too long at Malapascua, so I needed to move on.  But things were happening.  Malapascua certainly had its charms.  At the beach near Exotic I witnessed a remarkable sight.  The sun had broken through some low-laying clouds and directly shone on a solitary white boat at sea, turning it golden.  The sea around it had taken on an icy blue hue.  In the background were mountains turned violet, and a coral-pink sky.  It was beautiful, but since I didn't have my camera with me and it was too far to get it, I could only sit on the sand and stare.

Earlier on the day, I met Trina, a Danish girl.
  Dinner at Ging-Ging's that night, she was with a newly-met friend, Helvio from Brazil.  We had quite a long chat at dinner, so by the time I showed Helvio Takao-san's internet cafe next door, and Trina had gone ahead to her room to sleep, the lights had gone off at Ging-Ging's.  Knowing I planned to leave for Bantayan, Helvio suggested that I could stay on in the island.

The next day, I was ready and packed, but still vacillating during breakfast with Helvio, if I would stay on.  We visited Trina, and she was nursing an inflamed insect bite.  Good thing I still had those ointments with me from the Tagbilaran dermatologist.  Later that night, she'd get worse; and while she lay sick and vomitting, Michael from Sea Explorers would arrange a boat to take her to the nearest hospital, at Daan Bantayan.
Look closely at Dive Instructor Tong's t-shirt.
  She was suffering dehydration.

In between getting the ointment for Trina and my 12:00 p.m. checkout time, I had decided to stay.  I confess Helvio had something to do with it.  He convinced me to take another shot at diving, since I was in a divespot anyway.  We both went to Sea Explorers for him to sign up for an Advanced Open Water Dive course, and me to take the daytrip to Calangaman Island with other guests; both for the next day.  I was too inexperienced to do the Thresher Shark dive, and I had limited allowable depth as a scuba diver.

On the day going to Calangaman, there was threat of rain, but it cleared up when we docked.  The dive instructors (Michael, Martin, Rex, and  Vic) were all Filipinos, and were all a lot of fun.
Vic and Lotin
  Even the girls who cooked the barbecue lunch were a little crazy and exuberant.  Most of them were either in their teens or early twenties, and had the joie-de-vivre of youth.  On the deck, the girls would roll around like puppies with their divemaster cousin Martin.  Lotin tried to get me to date her cousin, but I laughingly brushed her off.

My Malapascua dive was actually much more fun than Apo, because I wasn't as scared!  Vic challenged me to swim on my own, though he was close enough for him to give a hand when needed. A little water actually seeped into my mask, 15 meters down, but I managed to calmly blow the water out.  On my first dive, I saw a lionfish and some mudfish.
  This made me realize that I'd already seen them in Apo.   On my second dive, Vic took me down on my first wall dive to see rare Ghost Pipefish.  We weren't able to take a picture of the latter, because my camera only had a minimum allowed depth of 15 meters.   I also experienced a thermocline for the first time -- the abrupt change in temperature from warm to cold.  I knew Vic was experienced, but he demonstrated it when at some point on the first dive he had to take off his faulty mask underwater, and he had to do this again several times during the ascent, but still managed to stop me when I was going upwards too fast beyond the 5-meter rest stop.  On our stops, Vic would play a little game of blowing bubble rings upwards to the surface.

Finally on the surface, Michael kept pestering me if Helvio was my boyfriend.  Helvio had a scheduled night dive with him later in the evening, and Michael said he'd postpone it for me, since I was leaving the next day.  I denied this, and urged him to still continue the dive because the guy was looking forward to it.  Helvio was at the diveshop to talk to Michael when we arrived, wearing his team colors.  (Brazil football, duh!).  On my way back to the resort, I chanced upon Helvio on the beach, waiting for me.  Michael had postponed the night dive.  Perhaps he thought the lady doth protest too much.
wanderlass says:
Eh obvious naman pala sa blog! (rolled eyes)
Posted on: Jun 30, 2007
jilltrekker says:
girl, naman! no comment na. :) haha.
Posted on: Jun 11, 2007
wanderlass says:
kala ko ba secret? ;)
Posted on: Jun 11, 2007
Calangaman island.
Look closely at Dive Instructor To…
Look closely at Dive Instructor T…
Martin and Michael