Manila Travel Blog

As a single Filipina traveling alone on the islands I was invariably asked the same questions.  Why was I traveling alone? To which I replied that no one could get the same length of vacation leave as I did.  But what I was really asked more often than not was one question.  Why wasn’t I traveling with my boyfriend?   I am an anomaly it seems in my country for traveling solo and shouldn’t be allowed to be alone, especially if I had a boyfriend.  This wasn’t the first time I traveled solo. I had some friends I met on this trip too, like in Dumaguete, Cebu and Boracay, but most of the time I was traveling alone.  Thus I was usually wary, like any city girl.  At the start I covered my tracks, except with my own family. Depending on the situation, I never really said exactly where I was going or when. Or I would mention that someone was waiting for me. On the internet, I never wrote about a place, until I’d quit it.  But the longer my trip took, I’d begun to be more open about being alone, because I liked to assert my independence. I think more Filipinas should go out on their own too, if nobody can make the trip with them. It certainly would be a boon to the travel industry.  You pay the price of a room good for two people, but consume half as much water or other utilities.

When I started my trip, I only had a backpack and a couple of bags with me.  I ended up with more than I started with: my dive log notebook, a dive book, a Time magazine (because of the cover story), souvenirs from Paris; and in the latter part of my trip, a fuchsia beach bag and a Boracay t-shirt that I only used once.  Surprisingly for me, my 2 souvenirs from Bacolod I gave away: my earrings, because of persistence; my necklace, because of love.  I didn’t really expect anything when I started my trip.  I just wanted to get away.  I’m still not sure what I have gained from my adventure. Before I start work again in July, I’d be thinking over my trip and hoping that I had at least learned something, since a journey is always personal and usually benefit the traveler the most.

andiboi says:
Posted on: Jul 28, 2008
jessta says:
Really? Cause i heard stories that Philipines are not that safe for single female travellers..Heard of alot of kidnapping cases....Thats why I wonder..Anyway I guess travelling to any places as single female traveller should be more caution and follow our instincts as u mentioned.. :)
Posted on: Jun 11, 2007
jilltrekker says:
I was relatively safe. :) Not much to worry about really. I hoped I didn't discourage anyone with my stories of being hit on, because you could divert those. You just need to take the usual precautions, and trust your instincts. If you feel uncomfortable about a situation just flee the scene. Plus, it helps not to show a lot of money or anything more expensive than a camera.
Posted on: Jun 11, 2007