No dolphin sighting; totally my fault!

Bais City Travel Blog

Bais church

Not because there were no dolphins, but because I was clueless to think that dolphins would appear at any time of the day.  Nothing on the guidebook led me to believe otherwise.  So, I made no reservations and no plans, apart from just showing up in Bais.  Dropped by the tourist center, and they were off on lunch break.  I killed time by going to La Planta Hotel and Restaurant, supposedly Visayas' best.  Funny but it turned out to be owned by the Lhuilliers (of Cebuana Lhuillier fame), who were my clients back in Manila.  I was the only person in that huge, very well-maintained restaurant with lots of black and white photographs on the walls. (The gay couple had lunch outside next to the pool.

The dining hall at La Planta, with bar at the far end.
).  The place seemed to be as old as the last world war, but with better fixtures.

Afterwards,  I dropped by again at the tourist center -- still closed.  So I killed more time at the public library -- the first I'd seen on my trip -- where I found out from the newspapers who finally won The Amazing Race and that Paris Hilton got sentenced to jail.  Sorry about the former,  great news about the latter.

The tourist office was finally open when I returned a second time, and that's when I found out I had to charter a boat very early in the morning, not just to actually see dolphins on the Tanon Strait, but also to get to the sandbar and the mangroves!  I thought you could do the latter two much easier if the former falls through, but they were all part of a package.

The tourist people took pity on me and they told me that I could probably hitch a ride with a professor who was set to make the trip with a couple of students, and would cost me much less, but it was still on Saturday, and I couldn't make definite plans.

I went back to Dumaguete City rather frustrated.  I was getting itchy feet again, and I thought to myself I was so ready to move on.   I had seen so laidback at Dumaguete, I'd hardly been to see the sights or experienced any of its adventures.  I had yet to meet Snoopy though, the divemaster that Kevin recommended.  When Kevin and I dropped by Tuesday at Scuba Ventures, he was out on a divetrip. My meeting with him was scheduled for Thursday, tomorrow.  But I texted Snoopy already that we could already have my pool dive as soon as possible, and towards my possibly getting started on my Open Water Diver license.  Passing by the road to Twin Lakes, I briefly contemplated dropping by on impulse and do some trekking, but I wasn't sure how far it would be.  (It turned out to be 30 minutes just to trek there one-way, so good thing I didn't push through since it was already the afternoon).

That night I watched Melinda booted out of American Idol in shock.  I hoped that the next day would be a better day for me.

eunicealba555 says:
Would anyone have the number of LA PLANTA and the TOURIST OFFICE. I have plans of going to Bais and thanks to your blog, I now know that I need to plan ahead of time.
Posted on: Mar 25, 2008
Isabetlog says:
Hi Lynne, thanks for sharing :) I was actually in Dumaguete just last week and checked out your blog prior to the trip. Through your photos, I decided to book a night in La Planta -- looks so irrisistable! Unfortunately though, we had to cancel the Bais leg since all the boats were dry docked at the time, kainis! Oh well, Apo Island was lovely...will blog on it soon :)
Posted on: Jan 16, 2008
lauro says:
hahahah early bird catches the..... dolphins! laughs :D dont worry :) everybody has bad days :D
Posted on: May 23, 2007
Bais church
The dining hall at La Planta, with…
The dining hall at La Planta, wit…
Bais City