Into the blue

Apo Island Travel Blog

Apo rock. This one still "grows" they say at a rate of 1 feet every 30 years.

I was on time but my companions weren't.  And because I was on time, I missed being able to buy a ticket for the next day's trip to Bohol as planned.  The trip was at 8:30, and Ocean Jet's office was still closed at 8:15, so I had to leave.  I  could only wish I'd still be able to get a ticket when I got back from Apo Island.  The latecomer, I was told, was a foreigner.  Snoopy and David just laughed it off, saying well, this was the Visayas, and we're on Filipino time anyway.  But Snoopy and David weren't late, and neither was I!

To at least make use of the time, Snoopy decided to pick up Peachy, who happened to be also staying at Harolds', and had booked with a travel agent.

Weirdly enough, Peachy had already seen me at the lobby where she was waiting, when I was telling other guests about my plans to dive Apo that day.  But we met at Scuba Ventures.  Peachy was newly resigned, and had decided to use a bit of her time to travel.  I could relate, so we hit it off at once.  Like me, she hoped that Apo would be worth the stay in Dumaguete

The others finally arrived.  An American, with his Filipina girlfriend and a couple of nieces (or so he said).  Peachy would later tell me that while I was diving they talked to her about being wasted the night before and one of them wouldn't wake up, so that was why they were late.

Snoopy made up for lost time by driving fast.

At the Malatapay pier, two other older Germans, including David's Lolo (Grandpa) Axel were already there. Waiting for an hour.  Peachy took a shine to Lolo Axel.  And really, he was such a nice old gentleman.  I thought at first that David's dad was also there, but the other guy happened to be just a friend, and was with his Filipina girlfriend. David and Lolo Axel talked about being in Basilan and wishing they could go to Jolo, which flabbergasted the both of us.  I couldn't think why a foreigner would actually want to go there.  For those who don't know it, both those areas are hotbeds of Muslim insurgency, and are the actual deep south (with apolgies to Deats).

Apo Island Beach resort
  Kevin had gone there too, but he had a whole contingent of Filipino and American troops with him then, and was an enlisted man himself with his own gun.  They said they'd gone hunting, but I half believed they were pulling my leg, or should be. Haha.

We finally got to Apo Island, and Snoopy and I were dropped of at the beach next to Apo Rock to begin our dive there.  I was a little bit apprehensive because I was botching the water-in-the-mask exercise again, so we made extra sure that it was on tight before we started our dive.  Later on my second dive, I would dive from the boat.  Snoopy was going to get me to just wade into the water from the boat's side, but then I asked him weren't we going to the backflip thing.  He was surprised that I'd already done it before, so I wondered if that wasn't supposed to be done on a first dive.

the resort beach
  Truth it is, I found that exercise less terrifying than the actual descent.

It took me awhile to appreciate the beauty of the site.  On the first dive we kept to the edges of the reef.  On the second dive we'd gone into The Chapel.  Both are probably considered the safer areas since I was a newbie.  Fifteen minutes into both dives I was wishing I'd go up already.  When we got down on our knees on the sand at The Chapel, and Snoopy was taking my photo (yeah I finally bought a disposable underwater one with film), I think my photos would show that I was half-terrified. But after those 15 minutes, Snoopy said I would flash the O.K. sign a lot more often, without him even prompting.  And truly, I felt that the underwater world that I glimpsed so far reached its zenith at Apo.

Peachy
  Visibility was very good, so we saw such a variety of corals and fish, more than I'd ever seen before, including this giant Wrasse that Snoopy spotted.  I can't recognize much of the fish or the corals yet, so I appreciated more that fact that they were so many.  We also swam around the edges of a wall, and as far as I could see, it sloped down like a garden into the blue.  And I hoped to be back someday.

When we got back, Snoopy gave me my last quiz for the course.  He also gave me the Dive Book that he lent me, which was the sweetest!  Peachie and I later met up at the hotel (she was two rooms down from me!), and had dinner and girltalk at Hayahay.  I was delighted to make a new friend on the road.

Apo rock. This one still grows t…
Apo rock. This one still "grows" …
David
David
with Peachy at Hayahay
with Peachy at Hayahay
Nightlife in Dumaguete. Rock on Sa…
Nightlife in Dumaguete. Rock on S…
Apo Island