Finally, beach!

Sipalay Travel Blog

Langub/Sugar Beach

Sipalay is 4.5 hours south of Bacolod City. I had a hard time deciding where to stay.  Driftwood Village Beach Resort had that laidback vibe that I really liked, while Takatuka had already perked my interest because of the Beaches of the Philippines article, plus it became Lonely Planet's Author's Choice not long after.  I had 3 days originally, but due to scheduling conflicts again, I had to cut short my stay.  Regardless of where I decided to stay, I was already curious of Langub Beach (nicknamed Sugar Beach), which is touted to rival Boracay.  Sipalay seemed to have become a new buzzword in "places to go to in Bacolod" too, because on the radio a DJ was wholeheartedly endorsing it.

Sunsets to rival Boracay's

Not to be confused with Punta Ballo -- also in Sipalay, but is better known for its diving -- Langub is much more a swimming beach because of its nice, clean, sandy beach with no stones or seaweed. Not that diving was not also readily available.  At Takatuka, where I finally stayed, one of the owners, Marc Kalitta, was the divemaster in residence.  I've a lot to be grateful for Marc (the most patient divemaster in the world!).  But more on that later.

Since comparisons have been made, I'm giving my two cents worth.  Langub is not Boracay, and that's a good thing!  It doesn't have a nightlife, nor is the sand the same fine white sand that you find there.  What it does have is to make you never want to leave.

Comfy beach seats
  It's so relaxing and peaceful there, but you will never want for company since the hosts do their best to make you feel at home.  From what I saw all along the beach from Takatuka to Bermuda to Driftwood, mostly Swiss-owned, they all make you feel welcome.  I also liked Takatuka's very whimsical decor, and I took quite a lot of pictures, which made Marc comment that I'd turned Japanese.   A word to the neo-hippies out there, the brothers Kalitta and their wives only play melodic rock music. Though they won't play heavy metal which they actually love (doesn't suit the beach!), you'll never hear that "reggae crap" from them.  They've also hilariously posted a "ban videoke on the beach" sign.

jennethm says:
Great blog, Lynne! I heard a lot about Sugar Beach and I am going to put this on my place to visit list :)
Posted on: Mar 09, 2008
lakbaypilipinas says:
wow its an amazing place... hope you can share this too in the Philippines Travel Blog

Posted on: Jun 27, 2007
Sunsets to rival Boracays
Sunsets to rival Boracay's
Comfy beach seats
Poblacion Beach -- drop off and pi…
Poblacion Beach -- drop off and p…
Langub Beach