Could still be the best Philippine beach, but...

Boracay Travel Blog

It was low season in Boracay, but it didn’t seem like it.  Except for the vacant room signs and the discounted prices, there were still a lot of tourists.  The habagat was also late, which meant bad news for those who chase the wind (e.g. kite boarders).  We had perfect beach weather, which was good news for all the Korean package summer tours that had descended on the island.  Korean signs could be seen everywhere, next to English signs.  I distinguished between the “been there, done that” and “fresh-off-the-boat” Korean women by their footwear.  I really don’t get why they had to wear heels on the beach.  I mean c’mon!  Especially with a Korean couple, the girl would consistently be wearing heels.

Even when there would just be a group of Korean girls…heels!  I guess it would be o.k. if one sticks to D’Mall  (roughly in the middle of White Beach), which has cement paths, and a place that really is like a slice of the big city in Boracay.  So apart from water sports and bar-hopping, one’s main activity in Boracay was …malling.  There were some nice shops you could go to if you run out of beachwear.  I had practically nothing to wear, so I went around in my swimsuit and my white pants or a skirt.  I had to buy a cheap t-shirt, just so I’d have something to wear before my laundry was done.  And for having so many shops, I couldn’t find one that sold underwear (except on my last day, but I had my laundry done by then).

I felt a little better just having girl talk over drinks then breakfast the next day with my friend Rita (her treat) who manages her family’s resort there.  I could’ve stayed at her resort, but the owner’s rate (one given to friends), was still way too expensive for me.  I found another place that was at least half the price.  By then Boracay had become the most expensive place that I’d been to on my trip, just for the accommodations alone.  I didn’t really care that much, since I was at the end of my trip.  Rita was very busy though, and was leaving the next day for a business trip en-route to a month-long vacation.  So I was left on my own the rest of my stay.  If ever I go back to Boracay, I’d rather not be alone.

It’s become a place that was more fun if you were with friends.

Being alone meant taking in the acoustic music at Bom-Bom Bar nightly, using the internet, walking the length of the beach, and swimming.   Boracay, as it turned out, still had the best beach (the best sand!) that I had been on.  Especially in the mornings, when there would be fewer people on the beach. I was a little troubled though that the tide could be so low at dusk, and the shoreline seemed to have receded a little. I hoped that this didn’t mean that the beach had begun to deteriorate. I also didn’t like it that they’d begun to hire cover bands to play on the beach for some hotels.  I was amazed though when one sang a Korean love song! Just to be fair they said, because they’d covered English and Filipino too.

On my last evening, I treated myself to a sunset cruise on a paraw, which was always my favorite thing.  Paraws, once used by fishermen, only sail with the wind, and not to be missed when you’re in Boracay. From the boat, I looked on to shore and bid goodbye to the last island on my Visayas tour.  The next day I’d be on my way back to Manila early in the morning.

Boracay