Beach life

Panglao Island Travel Blog

You often find some seaweed on the sand. This is a natural feature of the island.

I spent most of my stay just the way I envisioned it: lying on my sarong on the beach and reading a book until I lost my shade from the sun by mid-morning.  I also did some swimming of course, but only as far as 5 meters from the beach, because it was the time of the year for seagrass, which grew just where the water started to get deep.  Since it was the high tide, the water got deep pretty fast.

East of Alona Kew, the prices were outrageously expensive, especially for one person, which made me happy in my choice in lodging.  But west, where I had not been the night before, was Bohol Divers Club which had recently gone into expansion, so they had garden fan rooms (with bath) that cost much less than where I was!  The rooms were reserved however, but I could return in the afternoon to see if they weren't taken.

View from Bohol Divers restaurant
  I re-considered my choice.  Mine was owned by a local Boholano family, so I was helping out the local community at least.  Plus it had cable so I had my CSI fix (and oddly enough Fashion TV).  So it was fine.  But I'd definitely go to Bohol Divers when I get back.

Ging-Ging's was where I'd take my breakfasts, which was slightly less expensive than the cheapest restaurant on the beach -- Trudie's.  I spent quite a lot of time over breakfast having fun talking to the kids, who minded the store most of the time I was there.  There was enterprising Lou, and Analyza, who at 13 could already ride a motorbike, and her mom would send her to nearest town on Panglao on errands.  Not to Tagbilaran, though, where she would be apprehended by the police.

The kids were minding the the store during the summer, but in June they'd be back in school.

I was often approached by touts offering snorkeling and boating trips to Balicasag and Pamilacan.  Alona was also diver's central.  Most of the resorts offered diving and you'd get quite a discount on your room if you dive with them.  But in this divers' and eco-tourist haven, I was hampered by my budget.  I'd gone over quite a fair bit already.  It was also too expensive to rent boats for just one person, so I decided to just enjoy the beach.

Towards late afternoon, people's favorite pastime was to stroll the beach, and at low tide so much more of it was revealed.  In the the evening, most restaurants would set tables on the beach and grill food.

This was a perfect excuse to just sit around, chat, eat and drink.  There's really no night life to speak of in Alona.  There was supposed to be live music on Friday and Saturday nights in at least a couple of bars, but I was there early in the week.

Another favorite thing to do was to tour the island on motorbike.  You could hire one, with or without a driver.  It's quite the cheapest way to go around.  Actually, motorbikes really scare me.  They're one of the leading causes of vehicular accident, I think.  But the Visayas was overrun with motorbikes. So on my last day, I hired a habal-habal (a passenger motorbike) to Hinagdanan Cave.  I'd also packaged it with a trip back to Tagbilaran City, which turned out to be a good deal because I had to go through two hotels there before I settled down.

Hinagdanan Cave
  Gilbert, the driver, was kind enough to run below 60kph, but I was stilly wary because we didn't have any helmets on.  There used to be a city ordinance a few years back, enforcing the use of a helmet, but people just went back to their old ways after awhile.  Riding a motorbike turned out to be an amazing experience, but bring plenty of sunscreen.  When the wind is blowing through your hair and cooling your skin, you'd quite forget that the sun could burn you.  I'd recommend at least one habal-habal ride in your life.

You often find some seaweed on the…
You often find some seaweed on th…
Hinagdanan Cave
Korean tourist and his creation. O…
Korean tourist and his creation. …
Go to the light!
Go to the light!
Best to visit towards noontime.
Best to visit towards noontime.
Panglao Island