The Beach

Malapascua Island Travel Blog

Things you can do in Malapascua at low season. Stay obviously.  The next morning of my arrival, the weather cleared up and suddenly became sunny.  There's still diving, which is mostly what many come there for,  but what if you decided you couldn't dive like I did?  The most logical thing to do is to explore the island: walk the beach or take a motorbike ride to the lighthouse and Los Bamboos like I did. Turns out the guy I asked to take me there (for Php 20 round-trip), was the same guy (Michael) who accosted me the first time I arrived on the island. He was trolling for customers for the resort that he worked for, the remotest on the island -- Los Bamboos -- which happened to have wonderful views anyway, and a nice beach and what looked like a coral garden offshore.

I bet anyone with any confidence in swimming could snorkel there.   To get to the lighthouse and the resort by motorbike, one had to swoop up and down treacherous roads, just wide enough for a bike.  I think I left my stomach somewhere at the beginning of that route. There was also the tricky parts where two motorbikes would meet each other.  The more sensible villagers walked of course.  The lighthouse itself was not much to see, really.  Unless you can somehow find the caretaker and have him let you up.

Walking the island is also a great option. The wonderful thing is that the fishing community still exists.   The main village -- Logon -- is just behind the resorts at the main beach, called Bounty Beach.  And if you walk the beach, you'd come across many of the villagers' boats.

Boats were parked just between Dano Resort and Malapascua Exotic. All along the coast you'd find tiny barangays with more fishing boats.  Logon's poblacion beach was shared with only just a couple of resorts and one restaurant -- La Dolce Vita. Otherwise the villagers could enjoy the beautiful white sand for themselves.

At Blue Corals I found a great view, not just of Bounty Beach but the beach behind it that showed the village cemetery.  There more people could snorkel.  Otherwise Blue Corals, slightly elevated as it was, was almost too huge a resort for the tiny island.

The local kids were everywhere.  You'd find them swimming and playing among the resort boats.  You'd even find them at dusk trying to catch tiny little fish.

Some for dinner, but others probably just for play.  They'd do this especially near a small white sandbar that appears when it's low tide at dusk, somewhere near Dano.  The sand there is pure white and the water clear.  A good thing since while wading there, I came across a sea urchin and a jellyfish.  The sea urchin had orange markings shaped into what looked like a star, and dotted with what looked like little violet beading.  Very beautiful, but rather deadly I know.

There's also the making friends bit, usually with other backpackers.  Because the island is so tiny, and the guests few, you end up bumping into practically the same people.  Even the girl from the boat that I'd never thought I'd see again. She had breakfast at Ging-Ging's finally.

I was watching Scott (British) and Alex (Italian) now and then, while they tried to beat the local guys at Cocobana in ping-pong or practice for the World Championship, whichever came first.  Eventually Scott said hi, then introduced Alex.  Both backpackers, they met in Vietnam and were now traveling the Philippines on a shoestring budget.  While at Takao-san's internet cafe (The Floating Island), I suddenly and to my complete suprise met Gypsy again, on the day he was to leave for Bantayan Island with Scott and Alex.  I had met him in Dumaguete and he'd stayed overnight at Harold's.
  With him was Fawn/Faun, a very energetic American woman who can be nice to a fault (little girls would follow her everywhere because she'd buy them dinner), and who was just recovering from her brother's death (I swear that took me by surprise; she never showed it!).   There were a lot of Germans at the resort, and some got used to me after awhile and we began to at least smile at each other.

I also read a lot.  I'd finished two books so far on the island: Deception Point (Dan Brown) and Fathers and Sons (Ivan Turgenev).  These were the only two books in English that I could read.  The resort had books in other languages, and I thought I'd attempt a book in French.  French was hard enough, but to read a fantasy book in French...Well, I decided not to risk it!   With nothing much to do, my thoughts turned towards Bantayan Island.

Malapascua Island