Packing Woes

Manila Travel Blog

Traveling light

Though I gave myself almost a week to prepare, I only just finished my packing!  In a few hours I'd be on a plane to Bacolod, still trying to catch up on some sleep.  What possessed me to take the earliest flight out?  When I did this on my trip to Singapore, I ended up sleeping at the hotel until noon on my first day!

I managed to put most of my stuff in one backpack like I wanted. On my Luzon trip I only had 11 days, but this trip might take me almost a month.  Since I couldn't just double the clothes I brought the last time, I had to make sure that all my stuff coordinated and were especially non-bulky.  This meant a lot of stretch t-shirts and shorts.

Beach read
  And absolutely no jeans; they don't dry as fast.  I still needed a couple of smaller bags: my belt bag for extra essentials and my shoulder bag for sightseeing.  I had to cut down my books to 2 and my hat to 1 -- the latter I'd wear with me flying into Bacolod.

I absolutely cannot fly without books! I brought Lonely Planet Philippines because I needed it (duh!).  Also The Stranger by Albert Camus to read on the beach.  Incidentally the latter's about a guy who commits a murder on a beach because of racial prejudice, which seems morbid but something I'd find a lot more interesting than plodding through One Hundred Years of Solitude by Marquez. That book will frankly take me, well, a hundred years. Plus it has no beach in it.  My sister is falling down laughing as I explain this to her.

Anyway, my packing done, I heave a sigh of relief and think of just buying anything else I might need on the way. There are malls everywhere in the Philippines, and SM malls especially are pretty much in the major cities. I wonder if I should sleep the few hours I had left, or just watch the first episodes of the latest season of Lost.

Manila