the journey started in Los Angeles

Los Angeles Travel Blog

Actually our journey started in September when we decided to take a trip to Antarctica. My husband Kevin was the instigator, I was the tag-along. We signed up with the Nature Odysseys by the National Audubon Society, got the brochure, sent in a deposit and started dreaming about the adventure.

People were almost always surprised when they heard where we were going. I didn't know much about Antarctica and it took a while to really warm up to the idea. But once we decided to go, it was exciting to go somewhere few men (and women) have gone even in this day and age.

The trip fee included a red parka for everyone, just to make sure everyone was properly prepared and dressed. We still have the parkas and wear them in the winter time when we go on ski trips. A reading list came and Kevin bought several books and started reading about the white continent. I listed several books in a later entry.

I thought it would be interesting to list the more unusual items we were recommended to take on the trip:
  • one pair of waterproof pants, loose enough to wear over regular trousers. (We used them on EVERY landing so we won't get wet from water spashed over the zodiac)
  • one waterproof rain jacket (for when it's too warm for a parka, this we did not use but did bring)
  • one pair of fully waterproof, knee-high rubber boots with sturdy high traction soles. (We would be stepping into water when getting out of the zodiac, and they were rinsed upon returning the ship so we didn't track guano or other dirt back to the ship)
  • waterproof ski gloves or mittens
  • wool cap and scarf
  • bathing suit (we didn't end up using them)
  • binoculars

We had to fly to Buenos Aires via Miami, south America is very far away! The flight left at 1:30pm.
TB_Weet says:
Congratulations & Happy New Year 2016! :-)
Paulovic says:
Congrats on the last featured blog of 2015!
halilee says:
Congrats on your featured blog! A big group of us from TB will be going Feb 2017 :D Can't wait!