Day 5: Off to Budapest!

Budapest Travel Blog

Keleti Train Station, Budapest

After a good night's sleep, I felt better, although I still had a little vertigo.  We said goodbye to the city of Prague and got on the train for the 7 hour trip to Budapest.

The highlight of the train ride for me was getting to eat in a dining car for the first time!  I know that sounds silly, but it was something I'd always wanted to do.  We usually had trips that were too short or at the wrong times to go to the dining car, so this was exciting for me!  I was actually really surprised at the portion sizes.  I ordered an omlette with vegetables, and it was so large that I couldn't eat it all!  It was very good.  Jim had schnitzel, also a huge portion, and a bottle of Budweiser Budvar (the original Budweiser formula).

Excited to be in Budapest!
  He was so excited to try it and thought it was much better than the Budweiser we have in the states.  (Of course, all the beer in Europe is better than we have in the states!)

Budapest was the ultimate destination for our trip; we were going for a conference and would be spending a week there.  It was hard to believe we were finally there after all our little adventures!

As we got off the train, Jim realized he had forgotten to print the directions to our pension.  (Between this, getting lost in Bratislava, and my sickness, you'd think we'd never travelled before!)  We went to the tourist information desk, and they called the pension for directions (or at least the general area).

While we were checking out the exchange rate, we started talking with a couple from New Zealand.

Jim outside the Olympos Panzio.
  They were leaving, so they were kind enough to give us their Budapest city passes that had about 24 hours left on them.  We really appreciated it, because we didn't have to find and buy bus passes.

After hitting the ATM for some Forints, we got on the bus for Budaƶrs, which is a suburb of Budapest.  We stayed at the Olympos Panzio.  The Olympos has very comfortable rooms.  We were actually surprised at the room we got:  it had a king bed, a twin bed, a large wardrobe, 2 chairs, a mini-fridge, and the biggest surprise of all, a private bathroom!  We really didn't expect that!  Since we were helping to lead the conference, we didn't make the reservations...I hope the organizers didn't think we were travel wimps!  :)

It was nice to actually unpack and settle in for a few days.  I was still suffering a bit from nausea and dizziness, so I was hoping that some time in one place would help me get over whatever it was I was suffering from.

vwskull says:
This is where I met my husband, on my tour to Europe, Budapest!
Posted on: Sep 21, 2008