Last day in Finland

Suomenlinna Travel Blog

Holiday is finished! That’s what I thought when I looked through our room´s window. It was rainy and windy! Today we were visiting Suomenlinna but the weather was not going to help. There are a couple of ferries going to the Island and we ended up travelling with Royal Cruises. There is a boat every hour and it leaves at half past.

The trip was only 20 minutes long but we enjoyed quite a lot. We went to the information office to get a map and some info about the island. There was a girl who gave us a very good briefing of its history and what we could do.

Suomenlinna is a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1991. If you are planning to visit it I recommend you to assign three to five hours. It is a pity today was so cloudy and rainy; otherwise I am sure we would have spent more time enjoying everything it has to offer.  This attraction is open all year around although some facilities are only opened in the summer. Today is 1st of September, so some places had been closed already.

It has been great to visit one of the world´s largest historical maritime fortresses but I wish we had better weather! Anyhow, we spent 3 hours in the island. For lunch we went to Chapman café. There was a buffet for 12.50 euros but be careful if you are ordering wine. A full glass costs the same amount! J The soup of the day was awesome! J

Once we got back we went to our hotel to pick up our luggage and from there we took the Finnair bus to get to the airport. Most of the international flights leave from T1, which is been recently inaugurated.

Well folks, now I am in the plane with Silvia talking about our trip and finishing our travel blog. It is quite sad but every time we think about our next trip we get a smile…. India!!! We are planning a trip for the second week in November! Damn, we loooooveeeee travelling! :)
photo by: vances