Arriving to Helsinki

Helsinki Travel Blog

At 9.00 we were ready to roll! We found a taxi right when we left the apartment and took us to get the fast ferry. There are a couple of companies running Tallin-Helsinki, I recommend you to get the LindaLine Express, which takes you to Helsinki for 400 EEK (25 euros) in 90 minutes! At the terminal you have a coffee place to grab something to eat and have a coffee.

Once we got to Helsinki we went straight to our hotel Scandic Gran Marina, which was 5 minutes away (attaching a review from the hotel). On our way we had to cross kauppatori, a beautiful market where they sell fruits, vegetables, souvenirs and you can taste a great variety of local dishes! You even have some tables around to sit down and enjoy the atmosphere while eating. Very lively and recommendable!

I left my bag in the room and we headed the Tourism Information Office to find out about transportation to the airport. You have two options, you can take the airport bus number 615 (platform 5), or you can take the Finnair bus (platform 30). The first one costs 4 euros and takes around 45 minutes, the second costs 5,90 euros and gets there in less than 30 minutes. Both leave from the railway station.

Emilio was flying with SAS and Silvia was arriving with SAS too, everything happening in T1! There are two terminals at the Helsinki Airport; it is quite small if you compare it to Barcelona or Madrid. In T1 there is a small cafeteria, but if you want more variety, move to T2, it is only 5 minutes away! Emilio left right on time and Silvia showed up minutes later!

The Finnair bus leaves from T1 in section 1. On the way to the hotel we found a Jap restaurant and we had some Sushi, it was almost 4.30pm but Silvia hadn’t had lunch. It is not easy to find a Japanese restaurant in Helsinki, so even if the restaurant we found was not spectacular, it might help you if you have a sushi craving! J

Once in the room, we unpacked and we walked around the Senate Square! From there we started looking for a restaurant recommended in Lonely Planet, but we went nuts looking for it and it seems to be that they already closed! Our guide was published in July 2007, which is not that old… Anyway we ended up in Zetor, which is a finish restaurant serving typical rural food! Silvia had Salmon with a mushroom sauce and I had reindeer with some mashpatato! (I am attaching a review).

After dinner we just walked around the city and went back to the hotel!!!

silviazasca says:
Je,je aquí ya aparezco yo ... el relevo de Emilio,Tirso ya no se queda solo ;)
Posted on: Sep 07, 2009
Helsinki Hotels & Accommodations review
Best location good value
Good value for the money! It is very well located, right next to Kauppatori, the busiest market in Helsinki! and 5 minutes away from the Sanate Square… read entire review
Helsinki Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Best typical restaurant in Helsinki
This might be one of the most original restaurants I have ever been although I have to warn you that is not cheap. When you go in it looks like a farm… read entire review
photo by: portia