The next leg of the journery to a hotel in the middle of nowhere

Kirkjubaejarklaustur Travel Blog

Back in the bus, we move on to our lunch destination. We moved into another landscape, again. This time, great volcanic plains covered with moss that are around 250 years old. The volcanic plains near the airport are only 100 years old. They will eventually wear down a bit and grow moss, as well. These plains were all apart of the sea in the not to distant past, in earth time. You will see this dramatic difference in land heights in much of the country. This higher ground is what the island had been before the sea receeded. As we continued east, we passed glacier caps and flows and many waterfalls.

We stopped at the Hotel Islandia for lunch, which we had ordered ahead of time to be efficient. This hotel is in the middle of nowhere in an area that reminds me of Montana but, with some lava fields.

It's amazingly beautiful and so very peaceful. If you are feeling stressed out, you need to spend a few days here. The hotel is a single story, bunker like building. It's quite contomporary and nicely furnished inside. You certainly wouldn't expect this from the exterior. There is a nice deck out front with some tables and chairs for eating or just enjoying the view. For the people who had brought their own lunch, the hotel charged 250 ISK, I guess as a "use" fee.

I had ordered a "vegatable sandwich", having no idea what I was ordering. It was 2 slices of bread, some field greens, tomato, cucumber, and citrus pepper. It was....ok. At 500 ISK, it was not too expensive, given the hotel atmosphere.

I ate quickly so that I could take a walk in the lava field and take in the views of the great plateaus and glacier, nearby. I didn't expect that Iceland would have such wide open and grand landscapes. The highest seacliff in Iceland is here at 700 meters above sea level. Many of the others showed up to walk about as well. I chose a lava hill to sit on an just enjoy the view, until the bus was ready to leave. What a great place to be nowhere. I'm glad we stopped, here.

Kirkjubaejarklaustur Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
a bite in the middle of Montana, I mean Iceland!
This hotel/restaurant is in the middle of nowhere in an area that reminds me of Montana but, with some lava fields. It's amazingly beautiful and … read entire review
Kirkjubaejarklaustur