Beginning of the South Coast Journey - Skogarfoss

Skogar Travel Blog

I kept waking up throughout the night. I guess I was worring about getting up, on time. I finally got out of bed at 6:45, got ready, and was waiting for the bus at 7:30, which then arrived right away. The bus picked about a dozen people and transported up to the tour office, to check in. Once completed, the South Shore group assembled and boarded the bus. As we left town the guide started his history and geology trivia for the day.

Did you know that the French Revolution and famine in Ireland were a result of the volcanic eruption in Iceland in 1783. The eruption pushed so much ash into the atmosphere that is caused mass a lessening of sunlight over Europe. The countries that suffered the most from the food shortage this created were France and Ireland.

Also, in Iceland, along the whole ring road that circles the island, there is a path for horse riders. Horses are still used a transportation by many in the more remote areas.

Our first stop, Skogarfoss, would be after 1 1/2 hours of driving. Along the way we saw the landscape of the Southwestern Lowlands change from moss coverd lava fields to fertile farm land to rivers of glacial sediment on it's way out to sea. When we reached areas closer to the water we were easily able to see Vestmannaeyjar (The Westman Islands). They are named after the Irish slave that were captured by the Norse Gaels and brought here. In the1960's a volcanic eruption created the new island in the chain called surtsey, which is a Unesco World Heritage site for it's great scientific value.

We arrive at Skogarfoss, whose upper plateau used to be the coastline, now over 2 miles away. It's 25 meters wide and a 60 meter drop. Viking legend has it that there is treasure in a cave behind the falls. The area around is very green and lush and paradise like. The falls mist produces a single and sometimes a double rainbow on sunny days. I was lucky and there was a really visible single and a partially visible second rainbow. I was able to have my picture taken beneath cool!

After spending a bit of time to enjoy the view, it's time to move on. I know there are more falls to see during my time in Iceland but, this one is so beautiful, it will be hard to beat. There is alot more to see, so let's go!

photo by: Vikram