Visiting Cape Town

Cape Town Travel Blog

Nelson Mandela statue at Wsaterfront
After having lived in Cape Town all my life, I still feel like a tourist, every time I visit the Waterfront, or drive around the coast to Hout Bay. Cape Town offers so much, that one can really never grow tired of it. From the magnificant mountain ranges, to the beaches, to the winelands, there is so much to see and do, that even after a lifetime spent here, I still look forward to doing something that I have never done before, or go somewhere I have never been!

One of the interesting places I only discovered recently, after having driven past it a thousand times, is the Bo-Kaap. With its smartiebox houses, painted in all the colours of the rainbow, with it's facinating history of slaves shipped here a few hundred years ago from places as far afield as Malaysia, it is a unique part of Cape Town to visit.
Colourfull street scene - Bo-kaap

Walking up the steep cobblestone roads, that hug the foot of Table Mountain, I just could not stop myself from taking hundreds of photographs. I walked to the top of the hill, and into the graveyard site of the original slaves that inhabited the place. One has a magnificent view of Cape Town waterfront from there. I could not help but wonder how these people felt, that were dragged out here, so far from their homes and families, and had no hope of ever returning to their country of birth. One can only hope that they found some solace in the beauty of their surroundings.

From there, it is a 5 minute drive to Cape Town Waterfront, which one should never miss when you are here. It is a wonderfull hub of activity, built on the old shipyard, and still, despite the new buildings, still has the feel of the old harbour. There are numerous wonderfull restaurants, craft markets, and shops. The restaurants are built around the shoreline, so one can sit and watch the boats fo in and out, while sipping on you locally produced wine, and wonderfull sesafood.

You can also go on a cruise from there to Robben Island, which of course is the place where Nelson Mandela spent a big part of his adult life as a prisoner.

More about places to see next time....
travelodyssey says:
Hi,
I will be adding blogs to my website over the next few weeks, about interesting places to visit in Cape Town. Take a look at that, if you like.
I don't know if I will be able to take you around when you are here, but keep in touch, maybe we can plan something.
Posted on: May 09, 2010
jos-nijenhuis says:
Show me more places. In 4-5 weeks I am there. I need a lot of interesting places to visit, besides the soccer games..
Maybe you can show me around in Cape Town.
Posted on: May 05, 2010
Nelson Mandela statue at Wsaterfro…
Nelson Mandela statue at Wsaterfr…
Kramat
Local musicians
Local musicians
Cape Town Sights & Attractions review
Trip down Memory Lane
If you want to feel that you are back in the last century, and experience a truly great day out in Cape Town, then you should go for a Day Trip on thi… read entire review
Cape Town