Lake Powell June 27, 2008 - July 5, 2008

Lake Powell Travel Blog

 › entry 1 of 1 › view all entries

   The trip started with 5 people heading to the lake for a week of rest and relaxation. We got that and then some. No one thought this simple trip to the lake would have been so amazing for everyone. As it was over a year ago that we were on the adventure things will come a bit out of order. I apologize in advance for that.

     I was invited on this trip by my boyfriend parents. Big Pete, and Di. My boyfriend's name is Pete that's why we call his dad Big Pete. The four of us we occompanied by Pete's tag along, Matty. Matty has been Pete's best freinds since they were kids, of course he was coming. He was coming whether he was invited or not.  We left the afternoon of June 27th. Big Pete drove us the whole way there with the little boat in tow. We arrived at the lake at dusk so we were going to have to put their boat in the water and find our house boat after night fall. I was ok with that until I realized that Pete, Matty, and myself were appointed to go find the house boat. We did so by walking on the three foot wide docks. I'm not sure many people know this but I'm pretty scared of water. At night those docks were a pretty scary place for me to be. I thought I was going to fall in the whole time. All I could do was stare at the water I thought I was going to plundge right into. Pete and Matty have been doing the water thing their whole life so this was nothing for them. I was scared.  Setting aside my fear of the dock we continued our search for our house boat. We walked up and down these couple of rows of boats in complete confusion. None of us had ever seen the house boat before so we weren't 100% sure what we were looking for to begin with. We ended up finding the boat by finding Big Pete and Di on the little boat. At least someone knew what they were doing! Big Pete strategically maneuvered the little boat backwards into the dock next to the house boat. Everything was unloaded and we checked the house boat out. The three of us went up to the top deck to check out the night sky. Pete's parents stayed inside tinkering with everything inside, making sure everything was working properly. The view tonight wasn't anything too impressive with all the lights from the docks we couldn't see much but a ton a bats. Bat that were flying right over our heads feasting on all the nasty little mosquitos that were about to make us a midnight snack. I don't remember getting any mosquito bites while we were there. Being the sweet person that I am i usually get eaten alive by the darn things. Even though the bats were keeping me from getting eaten up i was still too close too them than I wanted to be so I purposed we check out things inside. I thought it was hot outside, when we went inside it was even hotter. We decided to sleep on the top that night. So I sucked it up and slept with the bats that night. 

   Day 2

We were woken up by the sun trying to cook us with it hot morning rays. I was happy to realize i wasn't torn to shred by bats or mosquitos while i was sleeping. What a relief. Sleeping on the top deck in the open was actually very pleasant, peaceful and relaxing. The three of us trapsed down the tiny spiral staircase to find Big Pete and Di up and preparing for our journey to our canyon. We snacked on a little breakfast before setting on our way to the canyon. Slick Rock Canyon was our home for the next week. Ahh paradise! Pete, Matty and I took the little boat ahead of Pete's parents. It took Big Pete and Di about an hour or so to finally meet up with us in Slick Rock Canyon. They scouted out a good spot to anchor the house boat while we floated around enjoying our surroundings. Big Pete found us a nice spot to camp, once again showing off his boat handling skills and pulled the house boat in flawlessly. Once we got the boats anchored and had everything all sorted out we were all itching to get in the water. The house boat has a slide that goes from the top deck off the side of the boat and into the water. I had been dying to go down it since we got on the house boat the first time. So we immediatly headed up the stairs to the slide. We threw the bucket over the side to scoop some water to wet the slide with. Nobody should ever go down a dry water slide. It hurts and you end up missing a few layers of skin. So after wetting the slide i made the boys go first to make sure there wasn't some sort of trick i needed to make sure i didn't get hurt. There wasn't so i went for it. So much fun! After the first time it was hard to stop. I felt like a kid in a water park instead of a teenager at the lake. We had a ball! We got tired of the water for the moment to we got out dried off, got a bite to eat, listened to music. Took in all the amazing sites. The rest of the evening was spent on the back deck checking out the sky. The sky was gorgeous! I was very impressed with what i was seeing. I had never seen the stars look so beautiful. We saw satelittes and shooting stars every 10 minutes. It was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. Big Pete and Di went to bed fairly early. The three of us stayed up. We were to excited to sleep. We stayed up pretty late every night. The bats were ever worse in the canyon than the were at the dock. I figured since i didn't get eaten the night before I was probably safe. I was, they didn't want anything but the bugs and I was ok with that. We eventually went to bed on the top deck again. It was even better that night. It was quiter, darker, and the sky was amazing. What a view to fall asleep to.

WonderDog says:
Scooter want to chase bats! Scooter go?!
Posted on: Sep 03, 2009
bkretzer says:
I like it, too! I can't wait to find out if the bats carried you away that first night! LOL
Posted on: Sep 02, 2009
WonderDog says:
Woof!! Good Story! Take Scooter??!!
Posted on: Sep 02, 2009
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
Sponsored Links
Lake Powell
photo by: acowboy