a small country with Great Ambition

Singapore Travel Blog

If there's anything I still remember after two years, is that I can still remember every little detail of Singapore, after two years. I don't know what took me so long to write this journal entry (probably because I haven't beena ctive on travel buddy for that long...) but still. I was looking through my photos earlier this week and I decided it was time to pass on my memoirs on this beautiful, clean, small and loads of fun country!

The best part about Singapore, as I like to see it of course, is that it was my first experience traveling by myself. Honestly I have to admit I brought one friend, but still, we were on our own. Just as we stepped out of the plane, we felt like the most independent girls in the world! This was going to be our adventure, and nobody was going to take it from us!

Singapore btw is an excellent country to start when you decide to travel by yourself. It's safe, clean, very friendly, not that expensive, it has good roads and good connections to Malaysia - by daily bus - plus a great airport with long-distance flights as well as short flights.

Me and Sjan stayed for about four days in Singapore at the beginning of our trip, and two days at the end. The first four days we firmly decided on doing some cultural stuff, like the art museum, the singapore botanic gardens, the bird park - which was actually a nice surprise comparing to the singapore zoo we decided not to go to eventually because we had to choose one animal park that would fit into our plans - some temples, like the one of Happiness (really pretty!!)..but besides all our daily schedules we did manage to take some time off and relax for a bit, near the great water/harbor of Singapore, looking at the great Merlion watching over Singapore (even though it's quite hiddious and rusty..) stroll through Chinatown and visiting the markets, taking some dance lessons in a subway station with the local youth and of course having our picture taking a numerous set of times because two blondes in Singapore is quite the sight :)

The last two days of our trip we were quite the surprised couple :) in Malaysia (in between our Singapore Days) we met a family who emigrated to Singapore from Australia, and they were kind enough to take us into their home for our last days of vacation. At first me and Sjan didn't want to take them up on their offer, but as it turned out they were our only option. We loved it, not just them but everybody in Singapore is so friendly and helpful. If you need anything, even if it's silly and small, they will help you or try really hard and then sign you off so someone else. This family made our last vacation days memorable with feeding breakfast to a little girl (with love of course), some serious shopping at THE mall of Singapore, awakening shivers at the night safari in the Singapore Zoo and having dinner at the pier with friends that will definitely, truly and always..last a life time!

flying_dolphin7 says:
It's so glad to know you are have fun in Singapore/Malaysia;p
Posted on: Sep 02, 2009
hellowen_21 says:
Glad that u enjoyed ur stay here in this tiny winy island..:)
Posted on: Sep 02, 2009