Crater Lake National Park

Klamath Falls Travel Blog

Snow in June!

Yay!  I've been looking forward to Crater Lake.  I got there in late afternoon - just enough time to hit the visitor center and drive the Rim Drive before dark.  As I drove higher in elevation, I noticed a ton of snow still in the park!  When I was little, my parents used to take photos of me and my sister next to snow piles in summer, so I found a pile almost 5 feet tall and took my photo by it!

Crater Lake formed after Mount Mazama blew its top about 7,700 years ago.  The crater filled in with water over time and is now the deepest lake in the US, with the deepest point in the lake at 1932 ft (589 m).  The lake has no inlets or outlets, so the lake levels are maintained by precipitation and evaporation, with the average precipitation 533 inches/year (1354 cm/yr).

Me at Crater Lake

I stopped at Rim Village for some nice overview shots and a quick peek in the gift shop.  The low sun in the sky made for some nice lighting on the eastern wall of the crater, but put the rest of the crater and Wizard Island in shadow.  I read that later in the summer you can take a boat over to Wizard Island and actually get out on it.  Too bad I was a little early.  Knowing I had a long drive ahead of me, I set off on Rim Drive.  I didn't get very far.  I made it to Discovery Point, only to discover the road was still closed for winter. Winter?  Its June! (Maybe that's why its called "Discovery" Point).   But I guess June is still "winter" up there.  I was pretty disappointed.  I'll have to go back later in the year.

Since there wasn't much left to see, I went to set up camp nearby.  Next stop - the Oregon Coast!

WaltJake says:
One of my favorite parks!
Posted on: May 11, 2007