Phu Kradueng Conquerors!!

Phu Kradueng Travel Blog

October 19-24, 2005

I told myself since i knew this place that i had to be there one day or at least before age 30. Time passed by so fast, 9 years later i realised that next year i'll be 30 so now it's time to go there before too old to walk :)

Ok, Phukradueng, it's time to meet you.

Phukradueng National Park is a famous moutain of Thai people. It is a sandstone moutain with a vast plateau on top, surrounded by smaller hills. Once in a life time, if you're Thai, you should go there!!!!! Someone told me, it's not a rule but something kind of ... we have to.

But going to Phukradueng is different from going to shopping. The way to Phu is not like the way to go to Siam Square shopping center.

Nine Kilos from ground to sky on foot have made some of people turned back when they walked for a half way. So this trip is not only holidays trip but it's a trip to prove yourself that how strong are you?, how patient are you? and how good are you? Many people come to prove their relationship. If you walk fast but friends don't, can you wait for them? If you don't want to stop but they want, are you angry? If they can't walk but you can, do you force them to go? Some of lovers broke up after this trip but some of them love each other more than they ever did. As they said, normally we hardly know what others think but for hard time, it'll show us itself.

Haven't seen many foreigners there.I think because maybe most of them come from the countries which have much more beautiful moutains to do trekking and when they come to thailand they might want to go to beautiful beaches not moutains.

Loog habs were packing our stuff.
And if they want to do trekking in Asia, Maybe Nepal is more interesting, Himalai moutain is more beautiful to take time with. But for Thai people like me, if i couldn't conquer the moutain in my country, how could i conquer others? :)

Phukradueng is open from October 1- May 31 and close from June 1- September 30 every year for travellers safety and forest recovering. In the rainy season, cliffs may collapse under their own weight by heavy rain. Flash floods may happen and run down the moutain so it's close for safety.  And when it's open again, there has many travellers on October 1, they want to be the first person of the year who reaches the top of the moutain. Friends and I were not, we went there around the forth week of October. Nice weather and not too many people. (Maybe it's a little bit warm for you but for us it's very colddddd, 12c-14c)

How to go?
We started with VIP bus at night from bangkok to Loey (province), the bus station is at Mor-Chit in bangkok,  and took a cab at Pha-Nok-Kao (city) to Phukradueng.

Loog Hab!
The first cab started  at 6.30am. So we had to wait for 3 hours. The day i had an earliest breakfast in my life at 3.30am :)  Bought one gloves at the shop around there, only 10 baht !!! Cool!!!

Then 6.30am, the cab started to Phukradueng National Park.

At the Phu ground has "Loog Hab" service , people (male and female) who carry your bags to the top of the hill.  10 baht per kilo. (Mine was 7 kilos, i can't remember what i put in there!!!) We used their service because we thought we can't walk with those stuff for sure. Nine kilos from the ground to the top. Ahhh!  But if you want to bring it by yourself, you can but remember it's 9 kilos walk up!!! :)

One Loog Hab carries about 6-8 bags which is about 50-70 kilos.

Tired?
It's amazing when i saw them carry bags and walked up with us. They tied our bags with a big / long wood stick at the top and the bottom of the wood, and carried them in the middle. They are very strong, some of them don't wear canvas shoes but slippers!!!!! The oldest one that i met was about 55 years old. Amazing Thailand!!!

At 7am we started walking after finished with loog habs. The officer told us that we should be up there around 2-3pm ... hmmm... long way to go. Along the way to the top has a place to stop which calls SUM. Sum means a place that water comes up from the ground. At each sum has food shops and toilets.  Phu kradueng has a beautiful geology. Variety of the forest types  which change every step ; hill evergree, pine, mixed deciduous. Variety of flowers which bloom at different time of the year.

half way
Some grows well in the rocky fields. And there has many animals ; elephants, bears, deers, squirrel, fox, snails which i only heard their voice but haven't seen them in real :)

Even though it's winter but Phukradueng have made me wet lolNot only the sweat that this moutain have eaten from me but also my energy too. We stopped almost every sums which we agreed at first that we wouldn't do that but whenwe saw sum, we stopped automaticly. Was very tired .... but the more we stopped, the more we lose energy. I never walked to anywhere else for many kilos like this in one day. And last night i didn't sleep, exited to come here so now i need more hours to take some rest. We tried to walk slowly because my friends were tired, they wanted to stop every step lol Tob and I are the persons who normally walk fast so we always were the leader of the group.

rough
We looked back and checked them out every 3 minutes :D One thing that i learned from phukradueng was "caring". As i said it doesn't like we're going to shopping but we're walking in the rough moutain. Even though we walked fast but I don't want to reach the top before them, i wanted to conquer this moutain not to win my friends so if they stopped , we stopped too.  We would do it together not alone.

Half way done, one of my friends told me that she wanted to go back!!! ... Ahhh... we all encouraged her and tried to sing a song along the way and stopped more than we did. She almost had a stroke, we're all tired. I understand why ; we're almost 30 that's why we're so weak :)

Finally we have passed through hard time together :)
We're here!!!! "Lhang Pae" : We saw the sign  "Congratulations, you are Phukradueng conquerer!!!".

I did it!!!

It almost made me cry ... I want you to feel my heart, it was like when we won someone's heart. We're trying so hard to have him and finally we did!!!! Took some photos with this sign. Got energy back!!

But no, here's not the place that we can stay.  We had to walk another 3 kilos to " Wang Kwang Park Headquarters  3 kms"  :-O

One hour later we arrived :)
We should be there around 2pm as the officer said but wow can't believe that we had more power than we knew so we reached the top of the moutain at 11am!!!!! Only 4hrs from the ground!!! And we were the first group that day!!! Good job!!!!  haha Then i saw a car!!! A CAR!!!??????? How come??? We walked so hard but there has a car here???? Yukkkk!!!!

We can't do anything yet cos had to wait for "Loog Hab", they started walking after us and they had our bagpacks so they would be here in the next 3 hours.

we did it!! haha
We went to the Wang kwang tourist center (Park Headquarters) and talked to the officers, there has a history board of Phukradueng and a big map in there showed us the ways to enjoy the beauty of scenery which every ways in Phu are connected.

We surveyed, first thing was a big yard which the size is about 3 football fields for travelers to set the tents and do activities. Around the yard has food shops, we chose one and tasted it. It's good and not too expensive, ice is expensive. Bathroom for free, it's like a big cabin which seperates by the walls for 10 bathrooms. No warm water machine, and you know it's 12c so I decided not to take a bath for all trips. Not too many, just 5 days :) eiei

Around 3pm Loog Hab came, some of them who're younger went down to do another shift but the older did it once a day.

After we got our stuff, we set our tents, chose place near bathrooms. (If you don't have tent, there has one for rent but i brought mine). After set the tents, gotta paved lime around them to protect us from the snakes at night. Ok, done!!

First day passed so fast, we didn't go to anywhere else yet just sat, talked and drank. The light turned off at 9pm but can't do camp fire here so we lighted the candles, sounded romantic, better if we came with our lovers.

After few beers we went to bed. All slept tight but I woke up in the middle of the night because it was too cold (for me), even though i was in sleeping bag, wore hooligan hat, socks, gloves, two t-shirts and one jacket but still coldddd, it was about 8c at night, i wore another socks and tried to sleep but wanted to pee :-( Oh, no .

3 thieves
. not now ... I confessed I am the one who believes in spirit and ghost and a thought of ghosts scared me the most.  That time was about 3am and everybody slept and it's very dark and quiet outside!!! Bathroom is not far from my tent but I dared not go alone. Really wanted to pee but don't want to wake my friends cos they're so tired so i tried to sleep again but still can't. I counted 1-2-3 and walked out of my tent, closed my eyes and quickly peed behind the tent with my flashlight.If you don't believe in ghosts, maybe you don't know. But in thailand, actually it's not about my country but it's about myself. I'm not scared of anything but ghosts and some animals. I've never seen but i don't want to see them either :-( Very quiet and dark, only sound that i could hear was a sound of my pee. 2 minutes, i think.
pls protected us from ghosts...
After done i went inside so fast......Relieve!!!!After i got back in, one of my friend woke up and she asked me to go to the toilet with her!! Shit, why don't you woke up earlier!!!!!

The others days, we walked around the moutain, it was awesome, many viewpoints to see sunrise especailly on Pha nok Ann. It's far from park headquarters about 2 kms, has a single pine tree grows close to the edge of the cliff. Pha Nok Kao can be clearly seen from here. Many photographers take photos to do postcards for sell.  Roadside of Pa nok ann is a large patch of wild roses growing among the rock which bloom in March and April. Another best view to see sunrise is Pha-Mak-Doog and Pha Yeab Mek which also have sea fog in the morning :) Very beautiful .

...

Then we went to Pen Pob Mai waterfall, maple dropped their red leaves to the water's surface.  It's a cascade over the sharp rock. The water flows pass a cliff to another waterfall ; Pon Pob, named after Pon Kingpet, the first world champion boxer of Thailand who went to train at Phu kradueng to get used to cold weather before going to temperate countries :) Nice source.

If you see, we only went to one or two places per day because each place is far from where we stayed.  There has some bikes for rent too but some ways can't ride into so we decided to walk. Exercise our legs, i thought at first, but that was hurt at night :-(

The last day, i decided to stayed around my place but one of my friends told me to go to Pha lom sak, it's the best place that we should go.

9 kilos from here. Walk there 9, walk back 9, 18 kilos???? We have to???? He said "if you don't go there, that means you did not arrive Phukradueng yet." I said "no, i already did!!! I won't gooooooo!!!" The others said too. He was disappointed. Ok ok ok, don't be upset, want to go? ok go go go....

We left at 8am to Pha lom sak, stopped to eat at Anodad pool. It's a small pool surrounded pine trees. Then we thought we lost, the way we walked seem very far and it doesn't like a road. We found out later that the local road that we walked is not the road for people but for elephants !!! :-( I saw the sign at the exit, it said "Don't walk pass between xx-xxhrs, it's wild elephants time" (Can't remember what time but it was about the time we walked). Wild elephants can kill people, lucky us!

Pha lom sak is 9 kilos from the park headquarters, it's a rock yard, has single pine tree near the cliff.

There is a large overhanging rock stretches southward, overlooking the winding hills in Petchaboon province from here. Nice place to watch sunset. We were there about 2 hours, can't wait to watch sunset cos we had to walk back before it's dusk. Another 9 kilos, girls!!! After this trip my legs would be tonned of biseps, triseps for sure.

Time to go back, used Loog Hab service again. Went down was faster than came up, only 3 hours, that's great. Got a certificate which has my name on it that i did win Phukradueng :)

It was another great trip that we had a wonderful time together and the most important thing i've got is stronger relationship.

If you come to thailand, when you're bored of beaches, try this. If it doesn't like others beautiful moutains but i'm sure that you will have a good time there :)

FYI

* Pha (thai word) means Cliff

* Many snails along the way to Phu in rainy season so watchout!!! :)

* Better go around October or november :)

* Have fun!

newtampo says:
Haha thanks Gianna! :) At that time I thought this hill is tough but when what i did in Nepal, was more difficult :D
Posted on: Aug 30, 2009
sunset
sunset
Pa mak doog
Pa mak doog
theyre gonna carry our bagpacks
they're gonna carry our bagpacks
That where we passed
That where we passed
view from Pha Nok Ann, waiting for…
view from Pha Nok Ann, waiting fo…
Were here!!!
We're here!!!
its higher than you see in this p…
it's higher than you see in this …
Sam Kok Don, almost there.
Sam Kok Don, almost there.
On the way to Phu.
nice rocks
nice rocks
.... help
.... help
Sam Haek, 1km from the ground!
Sam Haek, 1km from the ground!
before going up
before going up
caterpillar, kind of or something.
caterpillar, kind of or something.
happy happy