pontoon ride on the lake

Prior Lake Travel Blog

walking to the dock

After the fair we went to Cantina #1 at the Mall of America for happy hour drinks and appetizers.  Julie and I were pooped from the long day at the fair so we turned in early, like 12:30.  We all met at IHOP near the Mall of America for a crowded breakfast.  Everyone up here goes out for breakfast/lunch on Sundays after church.  We met at 10am and already there was a waiting list.  I decided not to get the Nutella crepes because I just had a crepe yesterday.  I then decided that the picture of barbeque ribs looked delicious, so I ordered that.  They forgot to mention they no longer carry ribs so I had to order something different.  In keeping with the breakfast vs lunch segregation at our table, I had to order another lunch item so I chose a salad.

Sand Point
  Maybe that will make up for all the deep fried foods I ate yesterday.

After the food we drove over to Prior Lake for a pontoon ride very kindly offered by Bill's brother in law.  We hopped on, grabbed some Hamm's beer and took off.  I didn't even know they still made Hamms.  Yum.  It was a little cool and cloudy but the sun came out and it warmed us up.  Or maybe that was the beer.

We tooled across the lake, all three portions of it.  The lake is separated by smaller channels under roads and has lots of islands.  We got to the far end of the lake and saw lots of geese and ducks on people's beaches.  I'm guessing the shiny tape they run across the beach is to scare the birds.

our wake
  We stopped at a boat launch for a potty break and I searched for a geocache.  I was sure there would be one, but I didn't have a GPS with me.  I looked in the typical places but didn't see anything.  (I looked them up when I got home and there weren't any there!  Maybe I'll have to put one out).

We boated over to the bar, Captain Jack's and pulled into a slip.  We wanted to have a beer at the bar outside that has swings as bar stools.  How fun!  Imagine getting drunk and falling off a bar stool.  Now imagine getting drunk and trying to stay on a swing, or even the dock for that matter!  We ended up inside.  As we passed through the restaurant to the bar, the hostess said, "Thanks for coming".  I told her, "thanks!  We're just getting here."  She was embarassed but laughed along.  We each got a beer - I tried Shock Top - not sure who makes it, but it had a nice hint of orange.  Yum.

Back on the lake for a mad dash back to the car so we could get Shannon to the airport.  We trailered the pontoon and I enjoyed the ride up the boat launch sitting in the boat.  For some reason that is the best part of boat ride for me.  Bill drove super fast to get to the airport while we all fell asleep.  Poor Bill, but thanks for driving!  Shannon made it just in time!

an island with a lawn mower