No tears. Only memories

Madison Travel Blog

My grand European trip had seen its last night.  Sadly it was time to return home and back to real life.  Booooo.

I had a moment's worry when I woke up in Amstelveen.  I had set the alarm on my phone for 8:00 and managed to roll over at 8:30 and see that my alarm hadn't gone off.  After an initial moment of panic I realized that I still had plenty of time to get to the airport.  I even had time for some breakfast.  The breakfast consisted of a croissant and a couple of eggs, and perhaps a banana.

I wasn't sure the best (and cheapest) way to get to Schiphol from Amstelveen.  I knew I was much closer at my hotel than I would've been in Amsterdam but I think the cheapest route would be for me to head back to Centraal Station and catch the train to Schiphol, so this is what I chose to do.  I still had my 24-hour pass active from the metro trams, so the only expense I'd have was the train from Centraal.

Flights are generally uncomfortable, but this one wasn't half bad.  I sat and watched 4 movies in the 8 hours or so that we were airborne.  I was quite impressed that I was able to cram 4 movies into one flight.  I think the last movie ended about 3 minutes before they turned the entertainment system off.  One of the few times that I've ever timed something so perfectly.

Since I was only carrying a backpack I tended to rush through customs and was back on American soil pretty rapidly.  For the first time in 2 weeks I turned my phone on.  Fortunately most everyone knew I was gone so I wasn't bombarded with missed calls and voicemails.  I sat down and watched a bit of the Michigan/Notre Dame game in a bar before heading off to my gate.

To my enormous delight an announcement came saying that the flight was oversold.  I jumped out of my seat and headed straight for the counter where I was given my $300 flight voucher and instructions to hurry to a different terminal to catch a flight from Detroit to Memphis where I'd pick up a connection to Madison.  A little inconvenient, but for $300 it sounded perfect.  Only problem was there was some kind of security breech at the Detroit airport so gates were put up between me and my gate.  Finally, the gates were brought down and I ran much of the length of terminal A but managed to make my flight as it was just starting to board.  A few hours later I was home in Madison, ready to jump in the shower and head off to bed.  Sadly the trip was over.  I was sad, but didn't shed a tear.  In fact, I had a wide grin on my face as I thought of all I'd done over the past 2 weeks.

HCSmooth66 says:
I am definitely willing to listen to recommendations and suggestions for how to spend my $300 flight voucher :)
Posted on: Sep 17, 2009