Finally made it

Edinburgh Travel Blog

I never seem to be able to sleep on an airplane for very long, or very comfortably. Part of it has to do with the seats, but I think the whole experience of flying is an uncomfortable one. I was hoping that this one would be different. The bulk of my travel itinerary was a 8.5 hour flight from Minneapolis to Amsterdam, which departed at 9:15 pm, so I figured my odds were going to be good for getting some sleep. No dice.

After a layover in Amsterdam I arrived in Edinburgh. The excitement was there, but it only grew as I caught a bus to Waverly Bridge. The first stop anytime I can manage it is somewhere I can unload my backpack. So, I found my hotel a 20 minute walk or so from Waverly Bridge and then I was off. I didn't know much about Edinburgh aside from it having a giant castle in the middle of it.
I wasn't interested in taking a tour of the castle, but thought that if I headed in the general direction of it I might run across some interesting things. I poked my head into the Scotch Whiskey Experience. I have 2 brothers who never would've let me live it down if I saw a place like that and didn't at least look into it. Unfortunately I was too late for tours but as I'm not a big whiskey drinker I wasn't overly heartbroken.

I wandered around Princes Street, High Street, and anywhere else my legs would take me just soaking in the scene. The experience wouldn't have been complete without a little bit of rain setting in. But nothing could dampen my spirits, except perhaps the exhaustion that is now setting in.
HCSmooth66 says:
Yeah, Fringe was over. But I don't like festivals, so no worries from me.
Posted on: Sep 17, 2009
Vikram says:
Were you late for the Fringe? Was it over?
Posted on: Sep 16, 2009
DCBackpacker says:
I'm the same way on planes...I tried the theory that if I wake up in the middle of the night before a flight to Frankfurt, that by the time I got on the plane in Detroit, I'd have no choice but to fall asleep...nope, never happened...I put a similar story in my blog of Germany/Italy/Netherlands...
Posted on: Sep 06, 2009
My brothers would never have forgi…
My brothers would never have forg…
Edinburgh Hotels & Accommodations review
Nice little place, not far from where I wanted to be
I stayed one night at Frederick House Hotel in Edinburgh. I liked its location for a number of reasons. First, it's always nice when you're tired an… read entire review
Edinburgh Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Delicious, though perhaps a bit touristy
I stumbled across Deacon Brodies after I had wandered up toward the castle. I had heard of this place prior to my visiting Edinburgh, but I didn't lo… read entire review
Edinburgh