Begin the day in London, end in Paris

Paris Travel Blog

All streets in Paris seemed to look like this, and I loved it.
I woke up London and was already set to depart. It seems like I never even saw the city at all, even though I saw as much as one possibly can over the course of 2 days. It was off to St. Pancras International Train station to catch a train to Paris. The train ride to Paris was short (Little over 2 hours) and relatively comfortable. The big problem I had was the pressure on my ears as we hit the tunnels. A bit of a shock to the senses the first time that happened, but before I knew it I was in Paris.

I learned from my time in London to get the typical sites out of the way as soon as you can. I caught the Metro from Gare du Nord, where my train arrived, and was soon in Place d’Italie where I had a short walk up Rue de Gobelins where I would check into a hostel for just the 2nd time in my life.
I was in the hostel for about 2 minutes before I turned right back around to go explore the city. Just enough time to drop off my backpack and be gone. I walked up through St. Germain taking random streets whenever I felt like it. I ended up running into the Seine right across from Notre Dame. Being greeted by Notre Dame herself upon arriving in Paris is always a nice thing. I hadn’t really intended to do much around Notre Dame because my interest in sightseeing rarely extends to churches, architecture, art, or shopping. One would ask why I even bothered going to Paris at all. But I wasn’t going to think like that, I was ready to enjoy myself. I went inside Notre Dame and was rather impressed with the interior. I did not wait in line to go up the bell tower, but I wasn’t overly interested in heading up.
One of the icons

After Notre Dame I jammed as many of the typical sites in Paris into the first day. I walked over toward the Louvre and saw the pyramid out front and the museum itself. Not a big fan of art, so I wasn’t ever considering heading inside. I then walked through Jardin des Tuileries to Place du Concorde and onto the Champs Elysees. My first impression of the Champs Elysees was that for the most popular street in the world it’s pretty ordinary, way too congested with traffic, and kind of lame (For lack of a better word). My first impression of the street was actually a bit too kind. By the time I got all the way up to the Arc de Triomphe I was kind of annoyed and wondering why I wasted so much time walking up this street. I hate shopping and if there is a hell for me it’ll look a heck of a lot like the Champs Elysees.

I tried to not let my annoyance with the Champs Elysees destroy my impression of the Arc de Triomphe, but one of the things that bothered me was the crazy traffic all up and down the street, and it was just as bad around the Arc. But it’s an impressive site for sure. I chose not to go up to the top at this point thinking it’d be a better trek up when it was dark.

I then wandered down to Trocadero to catch the great view of the Eiffel Tower. The Eiffel Tower is the iconic structure in Paris, perhaps the world. I guess it’s one of those things you must see at some point in your life. Check that one off of my list. It was starting to get a little late into the evening, so I decided to hang around the area for a while. I walked under the tower, back up to Trocadero, and just sat around relaxing while the sun went down so that I could also see the tower with the lights on. It is certainly an impressive site. On the hour after sundown they also have a show in which thousands of lights sparkle on the tower, which is truly an impressive site and got a lot of ooohs and ahhhs from those watching. This is where I called it a night as I headed back to the hostel for some much needed rest.
All streets in Paris seemed to loo…
All streets in Paris seemed to lo…
Paris Sights & Attractions review
What a waste of my time
Let me preface this review by saying that I HATE SHOPPING!!!!! OK, I got that off my chest. For being the most famous street in the world I guess … read entire review
Paris Sights & Attractions review
The Icon
The Eiffel Tower, the iconic image of Paris. Probably the most photographed spot in the world. Images of the tower elicit such a response in anyone.… read entire review
photo by: Sweetski