Le Course et Les Pommes

Albi Travel Blog

Friday was a rough day because the kids were a bit difficult, but Saturday made up for it :)

I woke up early and headed out to go run before anyone else got up. I am driving a manual here which I have never really done much previously. I drove to the trail and decided to back into the parking spot since the lot can is small and can get quite crowded later on in the mornings. So I pull turn the car and then go to throw it in reverse and can't get the gear shift into reverse for some reason. I am also facing the curb since the parking lot is so tiny I can't go in forward either at this point. I'm stuck. I have no clue what to do, so after a lot of frustrating attempts at putting the car in reverse, I decide to try to push it into the parking spot. You can only imagine how this went- I'm wearing flip flops, sliding on gravel, and I've now moved the car 5ft closer to the spot. However, once I stepped away it slowly rolled back to the curb. I looked pretty ridiculous. Luckily, no one was there to watch! At this point I figure I have no choice except to wait for someone else. I sat for a bit when finally a guy parks and gets out of his car. I run over to him rambling in bad French "aidez-moi! s'il vouz plait!! Je ne peux pas aller a derriere!!!" He asked me if I'm a foreigner (yes... ) and do I prefer that he speak english (YES PLEASE!!!). So he explains to me that on a Renault (the brand of car that I was driving) that you have to pull UP on the gear shift to move it into reverse... duh? Anyway, he was really helpful and I successfully parked the car and managed not to wreck it this time...

After that fiasco I went for an amazing 10 mile run :) I think I'm going to do a marathon in Nice on November 8th. I won't have quite as much time to train as I'd like, but I don't mind if I have to walk a little (I figure a 26 mile walk would be pretty impressive too!) and it will be gorgeous (the course follows the Mediterranean coastline!). We'll see.

Later in the morning we drove to a farm and went apple picking! It was really fun and the kids loved it, despite the fact that they don't actually eat apples... I made an apple crisp later on in the day which turn out exactly as I had planned, but they don't know how it should taste so that's okay!!
jwildavis says:
Hi Jill, Aunt Debbie here. I just read your stories and it must be very scary to be alone and unable to communicate your needs. Having said that, are you serious? I am so envious of your opportunity to "follow the Mediterranean coastline"! What an experience! Enjoy every moment while you are living around the world. They will provide you with wonderful memories later in life. Oh, and be safe. We love you.
Posted on: Oct 03, 2009
jwildavis says:
Jill, this post was hilarious. I can picture the scene of you "rambling in bad French" and I can't help but smile. A marathon along the Mediterranean sounds awesome! Take care! Love, Uncle Jeff
Posted on: Sep 17, 2009