My Day on the Town

Albi Travel Blog

samuel and titi at the apple orchard
Last week I went into Albi for the day. I live a 5 mile hilly bike into town, so I usually just catch a ride for the day with Emmanuel. I hadn't done too much exploring at this point, so it was great to spend the day just perusing the town. I started out by just walking around and trying to figure out some of the streets and took pictures. I got to see all of the shopkeepers starting their days and cleaning the storefronts.

Once the shops started opening I did some window shopping to see what's around. I bought some chocolate from a chocolatier. I also found the covered market which has fresh fruits and veggies and butchery shops and cheese vendors. I made friends with one of the cheese vendors with my bad French and she's going to teach me a little about the cheese. The plan is for me to buy a new cheese to taste each week.

I went to a coffee shop afterwards and ran into one of the usuals there that I had met before. That was fun to try out my French. He's this older guy that walks around with his newspaper under his arm and his shirt halfway unbuttoned. He seems pretty comfortable in 'his' cafe! Also, the cafe doesn't serve breakfast so everyone buys a pastry from the boulangerie (bakery) next door and brings it with them. I bought a little bread and tasted my cheese with it and studied french for an hour or so.

After running some errands (post office, etc.) I stopped in at a restaurant for lunch. They have a plat du jour (plate of the day) which is usually a reasonably priced, but good meal. You can also chose how many courses you want. I had the most amazing watermelon gazpacho plus a glass of wine plus some fish and rice. It was a hot day and a refreshing meal.

I ran some more errands after that and was surprised that anyone understood me at all. After the tourism office, train station, and grocery store, I went by the Mediatheque (library) and found out I can borrow books for FREE! As MANY as I WANT! That was extremely exciting! I'll be getting on that as soon as I can read enough French to make it worth it.

Lastly, I sat at a cafe waiting for Emmanuel to come and decided I'd order a glass of wine to go with my new chocolate. It was so good I ordered another and finished the whole thing of chocolate... oops! Later on I found out that the chocolatier is one of the top ten in France, so I don't feel quite so bad now :)
miem says:
Jilly, I keep trying to have my comments reach you_let me know via e-mail if you do receive a comment_there has to be something I am or am not doing. I really chuckled about your incident with the car. Love you, Mie-Me
Posted on: Sep 16, 2009
Vikram says:
it's nice we're both in France areound the same time!
Posted on: Sep 15, 2009
samuel and titi at the apple orcha…
samuel and titi at the apple orch…
photo by: polvandenwirre