EuropeFranceAlbi

First Impressions

Albi Travel Blog

Hello all! It's been a week since I arrived in France and I think I am finally getting the hang of everything. I technically started work as an au pair yesterday, but since the kids don't go back to school until tomorrow and the mom (Lucienne) doesn't go back until Friday, it won't really be until Friday. Other than that, I have been helping out as much as possible, playing with the kids, and simply watching how things are done!!

A few random impressions of France so far...
-where I live is BEAUTIFUL! I live in the countryside, so roads are narrow and fields are big! There are huge fields of sunflowers that I love. The buildings are mostly made out of pink or red colored brick and tan stone, even the new ones! I love running here because I can find trails easily. Right outside our back door is a small road that turns into a trail and the country roads themselves are quite nice for running. There's also a soccer field just a short walk away.
-we eat meals. hardly any snacks. yummy cheese (could you have guessed that?) and yoghurt for dessert-always.
-I went to the grandparents' house over the weekend which was an older house and more traditionally French. The house was adorable. All the doors, as well as the dressers, locked with an old-time looking key. The walls were patterned. They had a small courtyard/backyard that had a garden. We ate wonderfully buttery food that the grandmother homemade (even the bread!). Oh, and they always served dinner by the course. First, the cantaloupe. Second, the meat dish (sausage, quiche, etc.). Third, the salad. Fourth, THE CHEESE :) and Lastly, the yogurt, but by this point I was always full so I declined. At lunch they always offered coffee after the dessert too!
-French coffee...very strong, but with a little milk and sugar I can make it work. I do miss my Australian coffee though.

I am sure that I am leaving out tons of stuff, but I will try to tell you guys more in my next blog! Also, I am going to write one or two more entries in my backpacking blog to finish up my time in Australia.
MomDavis says:
Salut JillyKate . . . happy to see your blog started . . . je parlerai avec vous demain . . . bonne nuit!
Posted on: Sep 03, 2009