HIKING AND EXPLORING

Big Bear Lake Travel Blog

WENDY'S PATIO

YAY WE ARE IN BIG BEAR!!!!!!!

We all woke up at 7ish….well Wendy did HAHAHAHAHA. RJ and i  woke up about 9ish. I heard Tanner, Wendy’s dog attacked RJ with licks HAHAHHAHA. Wendy's dogs are so cute. They are so funny. Wendy is soooooo bad she made cinnamon rolls for breakfast. I made oatmeal and green tea.

We had a light hike near the lake called the Woodland Trail. There was 16 points of interests on the trail. It was a relaxing hike. We took photos and it was a clear day. The skies are blue. Even though the fires were in the other side of the San Bernardino Mountains, the scenery was breath taking.

We hiked about 5 miles total.
OUR TRAIL
We hiked near the lake and on juniper point. We saw people on their jet skis, seadoos, boats and kayaks. I need to definitely do that next time.  It was about 80 degrees. Wendy was telling RJ and I that it is going to HOT in Big Bear. Hmmmm what is her version of hot….80-85 HAHAHHAHA. That is wonderful for me. It’s efffing 105 in Vegas.

After the hike, we drove to Big Bear Discovery Center. We saw wild burros; one of them was HANGING OUT….HAHAHHAHA. A local had a 100% wolf as well. We can tell the wolf; Anubis was not in the mood to see people. I pet it and took photos with it. RJ and I were fooling around with big horn sheep horns and bear heads.  That was fun.

Shortly thereafter, Wendy’s drove us around the lake and to Big Bear Village for lunch and ice cream. Wendy’s friend owns a candy/ice cream shop. I have not been to the village since I was 11.
BIG BEAR LAKE
I went horseback riding near the village. i guess it moved or bankrupt.  I was so happy after I had my ice cream. I was in a good mood. HAHAHAHA

It was about 5pm, we drove to the market to BBQ dinner. Wendy seems excited to cook for RJ and me. We picked up 2 huge porterhouse steaks.  That was enough for the 3 of us. there was already corn on the cob at home. HMMMMMMM I AM HUNGRY AS I AM TYPING THIS…….we ate outside on the patio and it was a wonderful night.

After dinner, we hung out on the couch and watched FOOD NETWORK “LAST CAKE STANDING” until we drove to the bar to watch Wendy friend’s band perform at the local bar. OMG it was so funny we were into it. Wendy had to drag RJ and I away from the TV. HAHAHHAHA

We hung out at the bar, BACKYARD BOATHOUSE.  RJ drove Wendy’s truck. She planned to get buzzed.
i did not want to drink but hey it was cheap price for goose on the rocks.  RJ and I played darts. RJ got a few close bulls eyes. Shockingly me too!!!!!  RJ and I watched the seashawks vs. chiefs game while the band was playing. Then Wendy dragged me to dance with her.  I need more GOOSE. HAHAHAHA.  After football,  we asked the bartender to switch the channel to the food network cuz RJ and I wanted to know who won HAHAHHAHAA.  At the end of the evening, 12am is late for Big Bear HAHAHAHA. We all danced even RJ danced to the last song before the bar closed down.

WOW we did plenty of things but did not feel rushed. That was a relaxing weekend. We all crashed when we got home. OK OK OK I lied we saw the last hour of the “LAST CAKE STANDING”.  I ended up passing out before the winner. Oh well, I had a good weekend and MY ICE CREAM….
.HEEHEE.

History of Big Bear Valley, California

Big Bear Lake was inhabited by the indigenous Serrano Indians for over 2,000 years before it was explored by Benjamin Wilson and his party. Once populated by only the natives and the grizzly bears, from which the area received its name, Big Bear Valley grew rapidly during the Southern California Gold Rush from 1861 to 1912. Grizzly bears were not found in the region after 1906.

A trip to Big Bear Lake from San Bernardino took two days on horse-drawn coaches. Kirk Phillips was a local who took a trip to New York City and saw the world's first bus line.
WENDY, RJ AND ME :)
This inspired him to create the world's second bus line from San Bernardino to Big Bear Valley using white trucks with several rows of seats. This made it possible for the villages to grow and for Big Bear Lake to become the first mountain recreation area in Southern California.

Many people traveled to enjoy recreation on the lake, however, another major draw was the natural hot spring. Emile Jesserun bought 40 acres (160,000 m2) of land that included the hot spring and built the first major resort in Big Bear, the Pan Hot Springs Hotel, in 1921. This resort was followed with others that strived to be the best by creating a country club atmosphere complete with the amenities required to lure the Hollywood celebrities of the time including Cecil B. DeMille, Shirley Temple, and Ginger Rogers. It was also a popular place for shooting on location, as they did for the filming of the 1920 version of Last of the Mohicans.
FAVE PIC WITH RJ AND WENDY
1924 saw Big Bear populated with 44 resorts and a constant stream of vacationers. The Pan Hot Springs Hotel, like many of the other resorts and hotels in Big Bear, was extensively damaged by fire in 1933.[citation needed]

Part of the 1969 musical film Paint Your Wagon was shot here.

Winter activities are also popular in Big Bear. The first ski jump in Big Bear was erected in 1929 and quickly claimed a world ski jump record. More jumps were built in Big Bear Lake and the Viking Ski Club of Los Angeles began to use them for competition and events. The move to a winter resort town was solidified in 1952 when Tommy Tyndall opened a resort in Big Bear Lake now known as Snow Summit.

Big Bear Lake was incorporated as a city on November 28, 1980.

Since 1970 Big Bear Lake has held its annual Oktoberfest. From stein-carrying contests to great German food, this event is fun for locals and visitors alike. The Big Bear Lake Oktoberfest also sports the highest Biergarten in the U.S. (in elevation).

HIKING TRAILS

The National Forest surrounding the Big Bear Valley offers hundreds of miles of some of the most beautiful and serene hiking and mountain-biking trails in all of Southern California. Trail types range from easy family day hikes to extended and more challenging backpacking expeditions. Some trails offer both.

Big Bear Valley is also home to 39 of the 2,650 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail that takes backpackers from the border of Mexico to the border of Canada, while our local sections of it also make for ideal day hikes.
ME AND ANUBIS

NOTE: If you plan to park your vehicle in the forest or at many of the trailheads, you will need to purchase an Adventure Pass and display it in your vehicle when parked. You can buy the pass at the Discovery Center, other Forest Service offices, or at many businesses throughout the Big Bear Valley.

THE ALPINE PEDAL PATH

3.5 miles long; very easy.

The Alpine Pedal Path is an asphalt path that wanders along the north shore of Big Bear Lake. It is easily accessible for hikers, skaters, joggers and even strollers and wheelchairs. It starts at Stanfield Cutoff and ends at the Discovery Center.

CHAMPION LODGEPOLE PINE TRAIL

.6-mile round trip; easy.

The Lodgepole Pine Trail is on the south side of the lake and is a gentle walk down a path along a stream, ending up at the Champion Lodgepole Pine, one of the largest known Lodgepoles in California.
PUMA AND A PUMA...LOL
Begin by driving up Mill Creek Road (Forest Road 2N10) for 4.5 miles, turn right on 2N11 and continue 1 mile to the trailhead.

THE WOODLAND TRAIL

1.5-mile loop; easy.

This is a unique nature trail with 20 posted stops. Pick up a pamphlet at the entrance and take the self-guided tour where you will learn about botany, geology and the wildlife of this dry woodland area. You can leave your car in the parking lot if you exhibit an Adventure Pass.

THE GRANDVIEW LOOP BIKE TRAIL

9 miles; low intermediate.

A very popular novice ride that starts by taking the Snow Summit Scenic Sky Chair. This ride has a 3-mile "roller coaster" ride to Grandview Point Junction. There you have the option to ride 2.5 miles to Grandview Point where the view is beautiful and well worth the extra time. You eventually end up back at Snow Summit.

GROUT BAY BIKE TRAIL

13 miles; intermediate.

This trail starts with a short paved climb from the Fawnskin fire station up to 3N14. Continue 2.5 miles to Hanna Flat campground. From there, Grout Bay Trail starts at the back of the campsite and starts climbing. The trail climbs

and descends and you will end your ride back in Fawnskin.

JOHN BULL LOOP BIKE TRAIL

14.9 miles; intermediate.

Start at the base of Van Dusen Canyon (3N09). It's a nice 3.4-mile warm-up climb to Holcomb Valley, flattening out after a while, but then becoming steep, rutted and sandy. Following this loop will return you to your car.

COUGAR CREST TRAIL

4-5.5 miles; moderate to difficult.

The Cougar Crest Trail starts .
WENDY BBQing AND RJ
6 mile west of the Discovery Center on Hwy. 38. You will need an Adventure Pass to park in the Trailhead parking area. On the Cougar Crest Trail you will walk through a wide variety of natural environments. The first mile is a gentle uphill climb, but after a mile or so you will realize you are gaining altitude. The Cougar Crest Trail ends at the juncture of the world famous 2,650-mile Pacific Crest Trail.

For much more information on the above-mentioned trails and those listed in the matrix below, and for a huge selection of maps and hiking guides, visit the Big Bear Discovery Center. The information specialists will be glad to give you expert advice and assistance. Enjoy the mountains and the Forest and please leave the trails in better shape than you found them. The San Bernardino National Forest has the highest concentration of endangered plant species in the United States; therefore, please keep your dog on a six-foot leash and keep yourself on the paths.

HIKING TIPS:

• Before starting even on a casual hike, take an inventory of your equipment. Have the proper footwear. Blisters and sore legs will greatly distract from your adventure in the great outdoors.

• The Big Bear Valley is in many places high desert, so take plenty of fluids since there is very little access to drinking water on these trails. The only water that is safe to drink at recreation sites is from developed systems. Open water is too easily contaminated to be considered potable. Water from springs. Lakes, ponds and streams should be treated prior to drinking. Even clear water should be boiled at least 15 minutes before drinking.

• At this altitude the air has very little ozone to protect you from the harmful rays of the sun, therefore, a hat is imperative. And, if you are fair-skinned, sun-block is also important.
WENDY AND RJ GROOVING

• Many experienced trekkers carry a small survival kit with them. This often contains a windbreaker, a small first aid kit, a metal mirror, a police whistle, matches, a pocket flashlight, some high-enery snacks and a sheet of plastic or a thermal blanket in case the weather changes or they are forced to spend the night in the woods.

• Always let someone you trust know where you are going and when you expect to be back. Also, it is never wise to hike alone. Find out when the sun sets and allow yourself plenty of time to get back before dark.

mellemel8 says:
OOOOOO hopefully i am in town. oct is bday month and halloween.
Posted on: Sep 02, 2009
travelngirl says:
Liz, you are welcome to come on up and visit me anytime. Maybe before or after Belize : )...or I am going to plan an Oktoberfest Meetup up here next year. Too much going on this October already.
Posted on: Sep 02, 2009
Africancrab says:
OMG, how exciting indeed:)
Posted on: Sep 01, 2009
WENDYS PATIO
WENDY'S PATIO
WENDY IS DRIVING
WENDY IS DRIVING
RJ AND WENDY
RJ, KING OF THE WORLD!!!!
RJ, KING OF THE WORLD!!!!
CACTUS?!?!!?