Top of the Bay

Tampa Travel Blog

Tampa, the city where the Tampa Bay Area gets its name from (or did the Bay come first?), was always the largest city in the area where I grew up. But being a suburban kid, I never really came here unless it was passing through on an interstate to get somewhere else. It wasn't until my last year in high school (and with the aid of my own car) that I finally explored the city. It was OK then, but I have grown to like it even more since then. The city cleaned up its port area and gave a trendy area for folks looking to spend some evening dollars at Channelside, where many of the town's outdoor functions are hosted. The bridge over the river and THROUGH the convention center is always fun too. And no mention of Tampa is complete without talking about how much fun can be had at the African-themed Busch Gardens theme park...a favorite of my since childhood (even though it seems to cater more to adults and/or thrill ride seekers). For the historians, the city has a number of old areas, but the Cuban cigar factory region of Ybor City takes the cake. Although much preservation is being done, the historical area is being picked over by developers. As it stands now, most people know it as being a clubbing and bar hopping part of the city. But it's definitely worth a visit.

Tampa