Amed Travel Blog

I must say that if it weren't for the group of friends I was travelling with, I never would have taken the time to come out to Amed. My friends kept telling me that from the pictures they had seen, Amed appeared to be a beautiful resort area. With such a similar name and this new concept in mind, I began envisioning Amed to be Bali's own Club Med. Well, Club Med it definitely was not! But that's not to say that it did not have charm. It is very isolated on the northeast coast of Bali. Winding through hilly roads in rural areas of the island that not too many tourists ever get to see, our van was involved in two minor car accidents on the way there. The driver didn’t stop either time though. We were a mess by the time we arrived, but it was well worth the excursion. The town itself is small and, as far as tourism is concerned, largely caters to the snorkelers and divers. That was, after all, the reason why we came here. So with mask on face and flippers on feet, I waddled to the water across the clean sands and dove in. The reefs off the coast were the perfect centerpiece for the experience, attracting so many types of fish I had never seen before. I didn't get to any of the ship wrecks in the area and never got to see any sharks (or is that a good thing?), but I left Amed with nothing but good memories.

photo by: halilee