Rising Bohemian city

Saint Petersburg Travel Blog

Definitely not Russian, St. Petersburg, Florida, is one of my favorite cities in the world. Yes, I am very biased as this is the largest city to the town where I grew up. But because of that, I have been able to witness its growth over the past few decades. When I lived near it, the city was widely considered dangerous, despite being in an ideal location on Tampa Bay and minutes from the Gulf beaches. But that has turned around. Even though there continues to be some crime and it remains a popular locale with transients, the city has turned its image around. There are large swaths of the city that have been taken over by established artists. The Salvador Dali Museum (which is close to securing funds for a new building) is now perfectly suited for the city. It was the birthplace and headquarters of Wikipedia. The Pier, which got a makeover when I was a kid to turn it into the iconic upside down pyramid at the end of a pier, is still the symbol of the city. Downtown living has returned and it clings on to a major league baseball team too...not bad for what I would classify as a small city.