Rental car tour d'Langkawi

Langkawi Travel Blog

This was actually my first time driving in Malaysia. I've driven elsewhere and am comfortable driving on both the elft and right sides of the road, but driving in Malaysia is quite scary because there is no respect for road rules and certainly no "budi bahasa" when it comes to other drivers on the road. Anyhow, I survived in Langkawi's small roads, but still can't bring myself to drive in KL!

As for the freedom of having a car, it was nice to be mobile and not rely on taxis. They do charge high rates so for all we did and saw, having the rental car was definitely worth the cost. From Burau Bay, we were just next to the Oriental Village and cable car. The Village was cute but mostly a ghost town since the cable cars were closed for a 2-week maintainance period. That sucked. The Telaga Tujuh...well, it might be wirth it for some people...but it was a LONG walk to the top...even with the stairs and occasional bench. I will say, though, it was the place where other tourists were mostly likely to speak to each other.

We also checked out Langkawi Craft Complex on the north shore. It was big and probably interesting enough for most people. But a lot of it you can find in tourist shops and even malls in KL. At least here, though, you could watch them making it. The Beras Terbakar...mmm...skip it. There really is nothing to see. Although, the shops around the parking lot out front have a nice selection of minyak gamat...if you know what that is and want to buy it! Probably the most interesting thing I did was go to the Mahsuri museum. It was almost like a cultural village, with several music groups performing and the traditional houses, which you can go inside of.

photo by: Mezmerized