New Orleans Travel Blog

My first and only trip to New Orleans was for New Year's at the start of the new millennium. The millennium did not start well for New Orleans, but at the time, the city was carefree from its potential dangers. New Orleans during Mardi Gras is supposed to be fun, but I found New Year's celebrations here to be comparably exciting. Yes, there were beads and breasts. And the French Quarter was a mess with all the drunk revelers clogging its narrow lanes. Fortunately, I arrived in town early enough to enjoy the city before it started to fill up for the evening party. The bars in the French Quarter have a very unique vibe to them. And some narrow lanes offer some interesting the voodoo and witchcraft store I stumbled across. There are fortune tellers along the river and some decent shopping in the area as well. The Super Dome, however, did not look so super. It looked like a large stone bunker. Not attractive. But I did like the cemeteries around town, where the graves are all above ground. I would like to check out the city after its Katrina tragedy and see how much of its charm is still there.