Phuket fun in the rain

Phuket Travel Blog

Phuket is a place that I was never meant to visit, it seems. I had purchased flight tickets numerous times in the past, and for some reason or the other, always had to cancel the trip. Oddly, it never bothered me that much though. Maybe it was the super cheap airfare deals I usually landed that helped lessen the blow. Anyhow, this time I did make it. But it appeared to be at the wrong time. It rained every day, from the flight into Thailand, to the night before out 5am departure from the hotel.

I didn't get to see Phi Phi, or "James Bond" Island, or sunbathe along the beaches, or scuba off the reefs. No, I didn't get to do any of that. Still, I had a nice time in Phuket. Thai food, as always for me, is filling and satisfying, and I got plenty of it while I was there. But I was surprised to see so many European restaurants there...including a number of Russian businesses. We even stopped at an Israeli café for some falafels while waiting for the rain to subside.

Without its beaches and water activities, Phuket relies heavily on the sex industry and lots of drinking. We weren't into that but spent a lot of time people-watching the people who were watching the people in the bars (or dancing on the bar itself). Bang La Road is the main strip in Patong and has a night market selling souvenirs and snacks. It is also where many of the sex bars are located. The gay area is around the corner at the Royal Paradise Complex, but it was hard to tell with all the lady-boys walking around Bang La at night.

Because of the rain, we hung out in the Jung Ceylon Mall, which is connected to another mall...which appeared to be the best Phuket had to offer. Not bad, I guess. And it kept us dry. The security guards at the mall entrance split their time bagging wet umbrellas and saluting anyone who entered. I would have thought maybe a wai...

Phuket