New Mexico's big one

Albuquerque Travel Blog

I like Albuquerque. I do. I've always had a fascination with New Mexico but found that it was not what I had expected when I finally arrived. After a day or two of readjusting my perspectives, though, I ended up really liking the city again...in a different way. For starters, it has an interesting history that is quite unique to the Eastern US states. In my school history books, New Mexico didn't even exist until it became a US territory. Walking around Albuquerque's Old Town quickly filled in that gap in my education. It is geared to tourists now, but it is by no means "in your face." The building styles are great, and the shop owners were all very friendly. The parklands along the Rio Grande are worth a visit. And Uptown is a very popular hang out shopping and dining area that I really liked. The Sandia Tramway, of course, is a unique feature of the city. I didn't go up, but did hang out at the base and took some good pictures. In the field just across from the Sandia Resort and Casino, I even got to see bison. In the university area, there are a number of popular hang outs and the vibe is really good. I could see myself living here one day.

Albuquerque