Langkawi tourist strip

Pantai Cenang Travel Blog

Pantai Cenang, and to a lesser extent Pantai Tengah (not in the middle, but at the bottom of the west coast beaches), is Langkawi's most tourist-minded strip of beach, with its shops and restaurants, beachside motels, and, well, its tourists. The tourists are a motley bunch, ranging from non-English-speaking Russians to Middle Easterners. I must say, some of the women remain covered in black from head to toe...even when dipping their covered legs in the sea...but other women, I noticed, were getting very creative with 'how' to cover themselves but still look as if they were going to the beach. I thought it rude to take pictures...but I wish I would have! Very clever! On the other end of cleverness, I ran into a small group of most likely mainland Chinese (definitely non-Malaysian) while I was hanging out at a roadside stall selling cendol pulut. They sold snacks and drinks. And in two large, clear tanks, they kept their red syrup and grape drinks. This Chinese group pulled over for drinks...started asking if it was red wine! Note to confused tourists: Muslim roadside vendors selling traditional snacks and RM1 drinks do not also sell alcohol. Hahaha!
Pantai Cenang