Ipoh Travel Blog

Ipoh is one of Malaysia's largest cities and has a very large Chinese population. I knew the area had a long colonial history, but I was still a bit surprised to see that there were many colonial era buildings lining the streets. I also noticed that the city has quite a lot of wealthy residents. I think this must serve as a hot retirement spot, being close enough to KL with better land value and with the luxuries of still being in a city. However, there are not a whole lot of entertainment venues for a city of its size. It is nice to visit for a short period of time, but I wouldn't want to live there!

Edit (4 March 2011):

Again, my time in Ipoh was fairly short, but at least I got to see different sections of the city. I am still impressed with Ipoh's colonial-era heritage buildings...they seem to be in better shape the ones in Penang. The train station, city hall, courts, and even some of the convent schools have very impressive architecture. Plus, I got to see the busy, 'happening' strip of eateries, shops, and bars just off the highway. The bright lights let you know that this is the place to be in Ipoh. At night, though, the town is pretty quiet. Mamak restaurants are pretty scarce in the city center but there are several areas for hanging out in the New Town section, as well as some night markets. The food, in general, is cheap and delicious...though I will have to eat and enjoy MANY more meals here to confirm this.

photo by: Caliber-A